Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is for friend of mine.......

He has replaced the fuel guage sender but is still getting the following strange readings.

Reading properly when fiddled with, pulling the connector on and off etc.

Left for a while, like the next day and its reading 3/4, whatever is in the tank and on start up.

Just spoke to him on the phone and suggested he check the back of the dash and try running another earth to check but apart from that it doesnt make much sense...........any idea's people? It's driving him mad.

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'97 1.8

I suggested he looked at the back of the clocks as we've had some speedo probs on the '97 cars, otherwise I havent got a clue except to blame the good old Italian electrics :(

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Only thing i can think of is.....

Either the float has a pin hole in it or i`ve seen in the past that when the snder was fitted the arm got stuck/tangled with the pipes in the tank or even in some cases got bent during fitting and this caused it to stick and not operate freely

He hasnt caught the resistor on the arm when fitting and damaged it has he

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No float on a 155 fuel sender. It is a ball mounted on a spring inside a tube. Mine went not long ago so I had it changed. If you do change it or have it changed remember to hand the car over with very little fuel in it!

T.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sender has been replaced and is doing exactly the same thing :confused:

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had me m80 back on fone, still got a problem with the gauge. He can get the guage to work occassionally by removing and messing about with the connection. If he removes the connector the guage reads 1/4 with ignition on!!! It will work for while, varying time......

Any ideas? Its driving him mad!

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Sounds like a wiring fault if the connector is off it should read empty and if you earth out the live on the plug it should climb to full

Chances are the power wire is shorting to earth somewhere or poss the resistor on the gauge at fault

Sorry cant be more help but electrics arent my strong point

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing i can think of is that its getting another positive feed intermittently from somewhere else,hence the false readings.

has he checked the resistance on the wiring?

:D skinnyV6 :D

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suggested both of the above so he's gonna rip the binnacle out and check the gauge and wiring...wierd that its still giving a reading with no power :confused: Thanx guys.

wrinx

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not try another guage out of another car just to see,it w2ouldn,t take long to check,and may save a lot of time checking wiring out? Paul. hope you can get it sorted :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts