Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are numerous threads regarding the vagueries of the Alfa fuel gauge and I've already experienced those but mine has now chosen to stop working altogether.

Ignition on the needle moves from the stop to zero and the fuel low light comes on and stays on. For the past week it has been constant and tonight I brimmed the tank and it still registers zero (with annoyingly bright low fuel light on).

Any pointers as to where I should focus my efforts? Gauge or sender unit?

Any suggestions eagerly awaited!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Clean all of the conections to the battery, i had a 147 doing the same thing after a battery change turned out to be a wire to the battery its only a suggestion! The 156 fuel tank unit is easy to get to from above and if you need a unit pm me i throw them away.

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
First thought is that the float isn't floating any more...

Have you been running with a low tank for some time or do you always brim it when you refuel?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clean all of the conections to the battery, i had a 147 doing the same thing after a battery change turned out to be a wire to the battery its only a suggestion! The 156 fuel tank unit is easy to get to from above and if you need a unit pm me i throw them away.
I guess I'll be doing all those things but if it turns out the sender is the culprit I'll take you up on the offer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First thought is that the float isn't floating any more...

Have you been running with a low tank for some time or do you always brim it when you refuel?
I generally fill over 3/4's although not necessarily brim. It decided to go t*ts up with about half a tank. I used it for a couple of days expecting the gauge to start working again (as it has done a couple of times in the past) but after a week, no change. Tonight it was brimmed as a safety measure as I'm now working on the odometer - still reading zero.

·
Registered
544 Posts
check your fuses.

I used to pull the 80 amp fuse that the alarm shares to prevent battery drain, this killed power to my front electric windows, the fuel guage and other dials
If you dig further the fuel gauge will probably have one of the 50 fuses on the right of your steering column (i see what your seeing, but reach up there's tons more!)

if its completely zero'd its probably the fuse or the guage.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Mine has done this twice, when I've run the tank right down to fumes. It always comes good after a few tanks or a really bumpy road. No idea why, suspect it gets sticky or something if the float (or whatever it is) sits on the bottom.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to say that 1 week after the gauge reading zero it decided it would start to read correctly again. Oh! the joy of Alfas :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts