Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, just noticed my fuel gauge is reading full with the ignition off, it has got a full tank, is this normal? :rolleyes: 1999 2.5 156 Thanks in advance, Gaz

G

·
0 Posts
No mate... Although, define "normal" with an Alfa fuel gauge???:cheese:

It should settle on the bottom pin when ignition is off.
It could be a number of things like the gauge going faulty, the multiplug at the rear of the three gauge unit not connected properly or the connection to the fuel sender unit which is situated under the centre of the rear bench seat might have been dislodged slightly.

Then again it could be the sender unit itself but that is also part of the fuel pump unit all in one or.... It could be the float unit bent slightly...... Lord knows, they are literally made of jelly and but at least they predict better than Russel Grant can:lol: But that says nothing really:rolleyes:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It could be a number of things like the gauge going faulty, the multiplug at the rear of the three gauge unit not connected properly or the connection to the fuel sender unit which is situated under the centre of the rear bench seat might have been dislodged slightly.

Then again it could be the sender unit itself but that is also part of the fuel pump unit all in one or.... It could be the float unit bent slightly...... Lord knows, they are literally made of jelly and but at least they predict better than Russel Grant can:lol: But that says nothing really:rolleyes:
Hmmm, i'll check what i can, the gauge was rebuilt a while ago using bits from another gauge because it had failed altogether . A secondhand sender unit was fitted prior to that because that's what the faulty gauge was originally thought to be. thanks for the reply.
Is it safe as it is though ?.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hmmm, i'll check what i can, the gauge was rebuilt a while ago using bits from another gauge because it had failed altogether . A secondhand sender unit was fitted prior to that because that's what the faulty gauge was originally thought to be. thanks for the reply.
Is it safe as it is though ?.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
Does the gauge actually move?

For it to read full with the ignition off I would have thought the needle was stuck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts