Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've had an issue with my fuel gauge since I bought the car (156 GTA) but have learned to live with it. The needle sits at 3/4 full when I run out of fuel. When I put fuel in, it'll move up to indicate fuel has been added but never falls below 3/4. The light in the display doesn't work either. The mechanic had a go but wasn't too sure. He thinks it might be related to the speedo and a replacement speedo/fuel gauge might work. He wasn't 100% sure and couldn't recommend me splashing out on a new one. I was just wondering if anybody has come across a similar scenario and had a solution. I've managed to get hold of some second hand dials so we'll see if I get anywhere. Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
or the problem could be inside the fuel pump housing, inside the fuel tank. the lever of the fuel level sender unit might be blocked on its way by some wire, hose???

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a similar problem I lose a quarter of a tank if I park on a hill and didn't seem to come back, sometimes when I start the car it bleeps to tell me there's no fuel ( when there's a full tank) then after a few seconds It goes up. I'm almost sure it's the sender on the fuel pump.....am I right in thinking its a fuel tank off job to change the filter???

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
It's not a "fuel tank off job" to change/fix the filter/pump/sender. Much easier.

Remove the back seats (easy job, four or six (can't remember) bolts accessible from inside the cabin).
Remove part of the boot floor (easy job, probably not completely necessary, but makes access easier)
Remove the black metal cover over the fuel pump (visible when seats are removed)

Take the fuel pump unit out of the tank (if the tank is empty, less fuel will be spilled. Be careful to have no sources of ignition nearby!)

Inspect the fuel pump unit for correct operation of the lever/float which sends the information to the gauge.

Refit the pump unit making sure to keep all cables and pipes out of the float's way and see whether it makes a difference.

Just to add some information. On my car, the gauge operates correctly normally. What I have noticed, though, is if I fill up the tank with the car turned off completely, upon switching the car on again, the fuel gauge will indicate that the tank is completely full (needle past the full mark).
If, however, the car is still switched on (just the electrics, not the engine) while filling up, upon switching the engine on, the needle will only come up part of the way. It will do this until two or three restarts of the car later, upon which the needle will show a completely full tank.

This makes me assume that there's some digital electronics involved in the system and not just a simple analog connection from the fuel float integrated with the pump and the gauge on the dash. So it may be some electronic problem you are having, though I'd still say check out the float's operation first.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Is removing the filter the same for the 147 as the 156 ??
I can't tell you exactly, as I have never done it for the 147, but I'd assume it to be very similar. The location of the bolts for the rear seats may be different. The pump itself and its location is the same.

And just remember, it's not a "fuel filter" or "fuel pump" as such. It's an entire assembly in one - the fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel level float are all integrated into one unit that's all inside the fuel tank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This makes me assume that there's some digital electronics involved in the system and not just a simple analog connection from the fuel float integrated with the pump and the gauge on the dash. So it may be some electronic problem you are having, though I'd still say check out the float's operation first.[/QUOTE]

Hi, this is where we're at because the mechanic had already checked the tank area. He thinks he remembers a recall on this, quite a few years back, obviously. He reckons the fuel gauge works through the speedo somehow. He explained it to me.........I can't remember exactly. As I say, I've got second hand dials so I'll let you know how I get on. :beer:

·
Vendor
46,352 Posts
156 GTA fuel gauges do work through the speedo (on a 156 GTA - not 147 GTA or GT 3.2), your mechanic is right there. I have a fuel gauge issue in my 156 GTA and believe its a faulty speedo (its intermittent which doesn't help diagnostics).

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Out of interest's sake, how/why does it go through the speedo, though? What's the speedo got to do with fuel level?

·
Vendor
46,352 Posts
Out of interest's sake, how/why does it go through the speedo, though? What's the speedo got to do with fuel level?
Speedo operates the info centre to display range til empty, it needs to know the fuel level for that reason.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Try replacing the level sensor, or inspect the existing one to see if there is corrosion on the metal contacts ( careful it's fragile).

My fuel gauge however has a total mind of its own, stops working completely for a few weeks then starts working again... alfas!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
My fuel gauge however has a total mind of its own, stops working completely for a few weeks then starts working again... alfas!
That sounds like a duff connection somewhere, which is jolted loose and then into connection again periodically. Not fun to try and find where that fault might be, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts