Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I had Itsy out for a run today and stopped off to get some petrol. Hit the button to release the flap and it pops open, all good so far. Then about 10 seconds later the solenoid clicks again and keeps doing it.
Click, click click, click, you get the idea.
Once I get home I have a look.
  • Try the manual release, no joy.
  • Spray in some WD40, can't do any harm, still no joy.
  • Check to see if there is a fuse for it, there isn't.
  • Check the normally very help Alfaowner forum, posts about sticking open or closed but nothing on constantly opening.
  • Put the roof half down, it's raining, and there's the connector. Unplug it and the click stops. Yeah. Now the roof forgets where it is and the red light at the switch is flashing red. It's still raining.
  • Roof finally remembers where it is and goes back up.
So the current state of play is the button release is disconnected, I have a full tank of petrol and can use the manual release to open it. The question is, has anyone seen this before and how do I go about fixing it?

Donal

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
The fuel release switch looks for an earth, so the solenoid will operate. I would imagine the actual dash switch may be problematic, I would look here first. Sounds like the switch internals are permanently closed thus providing an earth. If the switch checks out then look at relay (I53) as the contact could also be closed.

Reactions: sraouf

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
All three 916's I've owned have been problematic as regards fuel flap release. It's one of the first things that I changed when buying the cars. It's slightly easier on the Spider as you can access the solenoid from the side when the roof is down. Once you remove the mechanism you will see how futile it is to spray WD40 as there is a plastic collar around the base of the release tab. Should just be undo two nuts and an electrical connector. Be careful not to drop the nuts or they will be lost forever in the hollow of the rear wing. A long piece of thin wire will help you re-locate the red emergency release cord.
Good luck

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update and why she pushes me to the limit.
Went to have a look at the fuel flap this afternoon and the car is dead, battery completely drained. I reckoned that the issue was with the switch and it had shorted or something and completely ran down the battery. So I popped out the switch and disconnected it. Went for a long motorway run and got some juice back in the battery. Arrived home and now? Nothing, can't get the flap open using the button or manual release.
I'm guessing I now have to replace the solenoid and possible the switch. Anybody have a link to where I can get them, thanks.

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
Try eBay or a breakers like Autolusso Alfashop etc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts