Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all there !

Can anyone tell me how often do you change your fuel filter, I´m talking about time if you do a few miles in the year ( not each ....miles).

by the way, next year I´ll have 98 octane fuel(Premium) in my country so I can use my squadra chip without problems ! :D

Cheers
Jorge

W

·
0 Posts
I THINK, its every two years. Hopefully someone else can confirm/challenge this......

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Jorge if you aint doing many miles then i would change it once a year

Most manufacturers these days reccomend a service either every 10-20 thousand miles or once a year wink

M

·
0 Posts
Is the filter just an element that goes inside the tin can under the car, or is it not removable and you have to buy the whole lot ???

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Marlon the filter on mine is a big metal canister and the fuel lines bolt to it

Its under a plastic cover just in front of the tank :D

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah I know, but do you have to replace the whole canister or can the filter inside be changed by itself ???

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do I have to change it once a year even if I do only 3.000 miles a year ??? :mad:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Well, FWIW, I changed mine when I got the car about 5 years ago.....and I've done about 40,000 miles on that same one since.

Seems to me that the issue is how dirty is the fuel coupled to how long the engine is running. As the fuel is constantly ciculating, the filter sees a good few gallons of traffic in it's life.

I'm sure I am pushing my luck as far as the purists go, but until I see problems with fuel pressure then why on earth should I change it??? (happy to hear any good technical reasons).

Oh, and if you do change it, make sure the copper washers are new, straight, and free of scratches. One of the new ones supplied when I did mine had a tiny scratch across it that I didn't spot at first - fuel absolutely pi55ed out when I fired it up eek!

Just my 2€

W

·
0 Posts
Haven't changed the filter on mine yet...but would you really notice a slight drop in pressure when they get clogged? Probably best to get it done.

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Just a thought, does anyone know a good place to get them....apart from a dealer :rolleyes:

wrinx

B

·
0 Posts
Got mine from AlfaShop in Norwich - reasonable prices and always helpful (and no, they aren't paying me to say this :D )

N

·
0 Posts
Jackpjw can you check this for us.
Can anybody see if you can also get them from a local car parts place.
The reason i say this is because my 75 fuel pump and filter was a bosch system that also ran on a Vauxhall Cavalier 2ltr gsi and as we all now Alfa can rob us but if there is a chance its a universal part then it might cost half the price from a Vauxhall garage.
Just a thought.

Ted

·
Registered
106 Posts
the regular period is 60.000 km. If your country offers winter fuel (enriched with oxygen) you have to change it once a year.

But Urugay doesn't really sound like a cold and freezing region... wink )))

grtz

amir

J

·
0 Posts
you can definately get them form your local motorist discount shop, they are about £10 to £15 I think

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Crhis S, I think like you really. I have change it two years ago (5500 miles) and fitted new washers too.
I bouht it from a dealer in Argentina and it costs 16 pounds.

Hi daiblack, mine is a Bosch spare 450905005, Alfa part 60801638.

And no Agha33, here is not definately a hot country. wink

Thanks to all.

Jorge

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good Wrinx ! I bought it 1 pound less! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts