Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 95 1.8 8v is hard started sometimes, very rarely, but when it happens it dishearting. It happened today, and I had only filled the tank to the top. The starter turns over, but there is no ignition. I normally only start the car will the clutch only depressed (no accelerator), but when this happens I have to restart it with the right foot to the floor. I am begining to think it is the fuel filter, as I had never changed the unit in 2.5 years of ownership. The car is now at 77K, and surely it needs replacement at some stage. I tried to get a look at it before, but the housing protecting it, is very hard to remove. Is it a hard job to change the filter, and what precautions are required when removing it from the fuel line - is there anyway of stopping fuel supply. Henry gave a price in one of the previous topics of £20, is this for a 16v or are both units the same.

G

·
Hello!!

I would recommend you change it. Especially if you don't know if it has been done or not. Can make a big difference as they do get full of rubbish. Your car is a few years old and it could well be blocked. I changed mine in the last 155 that I had. It was HEAVY and full of dirt when we back washed it to see what was in it. I am about to do the current car. I use the Bosch filters, as they pretty much what was in the car from new and they seem to last. They cost me about $40 (@ GBP 20).

Hope this helps

Oliver

G

·
I have replaced my fuel filter in 2.0 16V today on original Bosch. There was plenty of dirt. It is not difficult, but you can have some troubles with the hard going screws.

G

·
Next day after fuel filter replacement:
I recommend you to replace the pads (made from cuprum) between the filter and the fuel pipes. Today I have noticed small leaks and I had to installed new pads.

G

·
To replace the filter you do not have to remove all the screws at the housing. I unscrewed only 3 srews (big ones, these closest to the centre of car) and I had good working space. I just had to lean the housing a little. Ah, I recommend you to unscrew the fuel pipes first, then unsrew the filter with its suspension from the car body (one screw and one plastic "something"). Then you can take out the filter and remove it from the suspension.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Replaced the filter last week, wasn't difficult, I've cut the filter open to take a look inside and it was very very dirty, the car has much better response now when shifting between gears and accelerates faster from 120kph to 200kph, now I only need to replace the lambda sensor frown

G

·
Back to the first post.......

My 1994 Silverstone is a 1.8litre 8 valve. To start from cold, I do what you do...depress the clutch and no throttle. The car starts easily. When the engine is hot, I have to depress the throttle slightly while cranking, but it starts easily again (This is the instructions in sections 4.1 and 4.3 of the owners handbook). Once or twice I have tried to start the hot engine with no throttle and it won't start. Then I have to press the pedal to the floor to start it. I think the hot engine must evaporate the fuel (there is a name for this, but I can't remember it). The Uno Turbos and R5 Turbos used to suffer the same aswell as a lot of other cars I suspect.

Maybe there isn't an actual fault, or maybe my car is faulty too :(

Marlon

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
iverThanks Everybody for the replies.

Plenty of Information to work off. Oliverthe Bosch Filter I got was a F5005 model Serial no. 0 450 905 005. I think this will fit your model.
Marlon I start the car in the same way. When I went to get the Filter of the local bosch agent, I asked him about this hard starting when hot problem, and he told me that it was a problem of flooding!. Apparently you can flood a electronic injection system, and this happens to all cars.

It normally happens to me when I am driving in town, the engine heats up fast, and only a short distance is traveled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts