Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today, i was merging to a road from a T intersection, when suddenly the engine oil light came on (with 'not enough pressure' warning) and the engine stalled (giulietta 2.0 diesel 170ps). i tried to start it a couple of times, which failed. then, managed to back into the intersection to the sidewalk with no power on the brakes and the steering wheel.

i opened the hood to see that the inlet pipe on the fuel filter has come off, and there is liquid all over the engine bay. i pushed the pipe back, and taped it to the frame. the engine started afterwards, with 'check engine light' for a couple of starts, which then went away. i drove it in lower rpms being scared that it will come off again, but was also suspicious that i should give higher power to get better oil pressure :)

being the ignorant person i am, i took the 'low oil pressure' warnings to mean i lost oil. i filled up diesel at a gas station, and when i started the engine, again the 'low oil pressure' light comes on, and the pipe popped out again. taped it back and went home. i checked the oil, which looked low, so, i added some, and then strengthened the tape with some more layers.

i'll pay a visit to the mechanic's on monday to have it looked at, but is it alright to drive it? is it simply a pipe connection issue, or should i worry about other stuff? i need to pick a friend up tomorrow, but a bit scared that it will come of while driving on highway, which would not be a fun experience to have a stalled engine and no brakes at that speed, i guess.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuel filter hasn't been changed since the service. last service was in 11.2015 for 105K km, but it looks like that one does not include fuel filter change. the 70K service which has fuel filter change was in 10.2014.

http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/images/434-1-800.jpg

the white ring on the pipe is still there, but feels a bit loose. there is no click when the pipe is fitted, though. both pipes do have a bit of up/down play anyways, but this one just has no lock anymore.

·
Registered
38,682 Posts
Maybe it is partly blocked, and the extra pressure is making the clip pop off.

They shouldn't come off easily, but maybe it is some form of safety feature to stop the hoses bursting.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
no, I've had this happen before, the lock isn't seated properly in the connector. It's not easy to see, but you'll have to reseat it with a screwdriver. Take a moment to see how it works, and where the interior part should be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts