Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could cause a car to lose 10% - 15% of its fuel economy?

I'm asking for someone else, the big blue Skoda is working just fine :tut:

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
Tyre pressures?
****ty combined hand/foot brake calipers sticking?

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
If it's the display showing lower MPG, does that tally with what's actually being used?

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Tyre pressures?
****ty combined hand/foot brake calipers sticking?
Doesn't feel like the brakes are sticking, there is a high pitch squeal at low speed sometimes which disappears if you press on the brake pedal or wobble the steering wheel a bit.

If it's the display showing lower MPG, does that tally with what's actually being used?
I haven't seen a dash mpg reading but I generally ignore those now anyway, this is a calculation from brim to brim fill ups. Every other time I've checked it has returned between 37 and 39 mpg average, the last couple of times I checked its been hovering around 32 mpg. I tried the tyre pressures, all dead on spec and I know they're checked at least monthly.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah right, that old chesnut faffy

My 'mate' has this boil on his old chap :lol:
You remember the water in the boot thread ?

Same car, little 1.4 Toyota Corolla. ;)

No there is not a swimming pool in the boot I've not accounted for ! :tut:

You really should get that looked at Dawg :p :eek:

·
Registered
275 Posts
When was the car last serviced? Thinking new fuel filter especially

Is it being driven by someone who has recently realised what the loud pedal does?!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Cooling fans running when they shouldn't be?

Had this with my wife's car recently and took about 10% off the fuel economy. Couldn't tell that they were on unnecessarily if the stereo was on, threw up a fault code intermittently though

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
Knackered 'stat is a possibility, as is an exhaust box that has fallen to bits internally.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
What could cause a car to lose 10% - 15% of its fuel economy?

I'm asking for someone else, the big blue Skoda is working just fine :tut:
Lower octane fuel, or more ethanol in the fuel. Or both... Lower temperatures, both external or inside the engine transmission. The latter also influences tyre pressures.

roof rack, fat basterd in the car, roadworks or other traffic jams...

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
I would take MPG together with average speed only.
Lower average speed brings higher MPG.
I may assume you have had less highway drive with more city drive with traffic light and jams to wait idling for example. I have a catastrophic MPG with my daily drive with average speed 16-17km/h.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a mix of roads BG, some 50Mph (80Kph) and some 30 Mph (50Kph). Usually this car does between 36Mpg and 39Mpg (6.5 l/100km to 6.0 l/100km). The roads have not changed, the driver has not changed as far as I know, so it has to be mechanical problem I think?

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
I have a mix of roads BG, some 50Mph (80Kph) and some 30 Mph (50Kph). Usually this car does between 36Mpg and 39Mpg (6.5 l/100km to 6.0 l/100km). The roads have not changed, the driver has not changed as far as I know, so it has to be mechanical problem I think?
I was just a guess. MPG is something which painfully felt by arse than drive conditions are not in all.
Otherwise it could anything technically.
I have just reload my car comp in British way to clarify how it looks like.
My car works perfect but I have really rubbish drive conditions.
:depressed:

Attachments

·
Registered
38,703 Posts
MAF sensor or boost leak.

Either of which can easily cause an excessivly rich mixture and higher fuel consumption.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts