Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while ago (approx. 3 months) the temperamental darling would not start outside a cake shop. Fuel pump was the suspect. Multiple crankings somehow slipped the timing belt. That leads to a total overhaul. (Might as well, near 200k and 2 pistons with worn rings.) Changed new fuel pump and problem happens 1 month later. Traced to WIRING of all things. Had to re-wire to fuel pump by-passing cut-off switch. (I can feel all the cringes now!)

So, help me out and tell me if this is a really stupid move. Few things, the old wiring has to be looped (connected together) with the new wiring or the RPM will begin a hunt at idle between 500 and 1200. Seems that the ECU requires this information. Where is the fuel pump relay that is next to the side of the battery. Is it the one in front or the rear. Reason is, one of them is the timing variator relay. I believe the front one is for the timing variator (by continuity tests). When I pull this (front) relay out, the engine dies. Note that I have installed a new relay for the fuel pump. Why does it do that?

Anyone out there with a complete electrical wiring diagram for the whole fuel pump and fuel delivery system. Car is 16V t-spark.

Cheers and much obliged.
:chinese:

Kenneth

P/S Also, I do not seem to feel the surge when the variator is supposed to do it's thing. No, the diesel sound happens for 1sec only when the engine is started.

·
Administrator
46,093 Posts
Not very knowledgable in this area, but I think having bypassed the fuel cut-off should only be a problem if you roll the car.
Try not to do that.... ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C'mon guys! This is a cry for help. I worry about being stuck in a jam with no fuel cut-off feature and the engine catches fire, or something less dramatic. Anyone with the electrical diagrams for the fuel pump wiring and inter-connects?

kenneth

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
The fuel cut off valve is there to cut the fuel off in the event of an accident :eek: where the driver can`t do it by turning the key off :rolleyes:

You should`nt have any probs with it bypassed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts