Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car does around 200km/tank I have a good engine no problems with acceleration and is quite. I'm running with no lambda sensor and my MAF was acting up but fixed itself and just worked. My driving is a bit hard but I'd say only 50% of the time. One last thing sometimes my car idles at low rpm 500-600 and is about to stalling then it gives itself some gas and is back to normal usually happens when I come to stop as soon as I press the brakes. I hope anyone can make anything out of this

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
check the brakes vacuum hose that goes just between the throtle boby and the inlet manifold.
with time is gets loose creating a vacuum leak. grad a jubilee clip and tight it nice. had the same problem recently.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do u think u could hook me up with a pick of the hose, first alfa and first car so I'm still learning... What does that hose have to do with high fuel consumption?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
coilpack_480p.jpg
green arrow :D
also take a look at all the other hoses that go into the intake between the MAF and the inlet manifold, cracks in the intake rubber sleeve, basically check for other vacuum leaks arround this area...
but if your problem starts only when you hit the brakes, then this should be the only hose to look at ;)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
What does that hose have to do with high fuel consumption?
unmetered air will go in through this leak, not enabling the ECU for the correct air/fuel mixture. on a normal situation this would create a lean mixture, but I think when things go out of control, the ECU just throws fuel in as long as the engine doesn't knock or turns off. with the lambda unpluged just turns this worst. that is where your fuel is going in...

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
btw, I think the pic posted is from a 145/146. on a 156 the hose fits on the same place, but turns to the right and not left.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
U have been very helpful thank u for Ur time and all the info I'll check everything today and let u know how it went

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fuel consumption the same, somewhat better idle rpm but still not spot on. The hose needed tightening, u were right

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
that hose needs to be really tight! check if breaking is messing with idle. if it is, check the hose again.
200 km/tank is really low! you might several issues there.
- check for all leaks as I suggested.
- plug in the lambda.
- make a throttle reset if needed - search the forum how to do it...
- if you can accelerate freely though all the rev range, MAF should not be the problem. if not, disconnect the MAF. if acceleration and idle get better, then go for a carefull MAF cleaning and plug it again
- make a throttle reset again if needed
- if nothing works, then it's time for you to download diagnostic software like multiecuscan (free version is enough), buy diagnostic cable (vagcom kkl cable) available on ebay and read the fault codes. other way will be very difficult to help you out...

when were spak plugs changed?
why are you disconnecting the lambda for?
don't buy any MAF or lambda sensor before you are sure they are faulty.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My lambda is faulty, I use dnecuscan, previously known as alfadiag. No other errors except lambda sensor. When I unplug my maf the car wants to stall even more and I get a back fire at around 4000 rpm if I floor it then another at 5000rpm. Also engine sounds very rough with it unplugged. How do I clean it, the screws have a pin in the middle so looks Luke it needs a special tool. I recently changed my engine and bought one with 52000km on it. Haven't changed the spark plugs as the car accelerates ok but a bit more with the maf unplugged. If I just give it very slight gas on first the car feels like it's accelerating then breaking and does this until I give it some gas. I love the car but if I can't get better fuel consumption I'll let her go I don't have that kind of money. Did the maths it's 4.3km/L that's just insane

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
maf clean guide here
Fun starts @ 3000!

if you can't get the lambda to work, fuel consumption won't go much better for sure.

if the engine is just 52 000 km then the spark plugs should be good.

how is the air filter? when did fuel consumption started to be so high?...

could be injectors leaking problem, but I think it's rare on a TS engine, but common on a JTS...
if you didn't say you got good power of her I also think it could be bad timing or valves problem... who/when did the belts last time? but sort the other things first.

I get 600 km on my 156 1.8 ts with a tank on bad days...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was higher with the old Engine this one is a bit better. I bought the car a month ago. I cleaned the air filter with a jet of air. The box that connects to the air filter allowing it to pull cool air is broken. I changed the belts 350km ago, an Alfa mechanic did it. I did a leak test on the last engine and it was 51% that's y it had to go. I think it must be something else other than the engine itself. The spark plugs need changing because the engine was shipped from Japan to Egypt so the humidity probably got to them. I've heard of this tank under the passenger seat that collects fuel vapour. If it's faulty will it do this. Also, if u Floor it from a complete stop, do u get a chuckling sound from the engine until the rpm goes to 1000

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll do the throttle reset today and I started a new thread about alfadiag cause the link is broken and dnecuscan isn't a full version so no step motor calibration

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
maybe an ECU reset would help, but made with proper diagnostic software. disconnecting the battery won't. maybe the ECU is using older adaptation parameters stored, but since you have no lambda, not sure if the ECU pays attention to this.

if you can read self learned TRA, FRA for high and low loads parameters would be nice.

can't help you with the fuel vapour recirculation, but it's a possibility, I think...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have absolutely no idea what that is but I'll look it up in the list of sensors that I can monitor

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
I've heard of this tank under the passenger seat that collects fuel vapour.
It's in the inner wing ... to the left as you look at car from front.

Have you replaced the lambda yet? get a proper BOSCH on but to save a bit of money you could use the LS615 Universal. Yout and splice in the new lambda to the old wiring but make sure you cut to the correct length as the cable is part of the lambda circuit.

What about water temp? Is it running at around 90 mark when hot and does it warn up quickly? If not, new thermostat as this will kill fuel consumption too.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts