Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there consumption difference between N & D modes if you drive same way or style..

I couldnt test it.. Anybody test the difference ?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I think you'll find this question has been covered in a few threads.

I did a few tests in my 1.6 JTDM (using average consumption & CC over same route) and concluded 'N' is the most economic.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got better fuel consumption from D a few times while driving slowly...however, this is very hard to do with the 2.0 jtdm as all the car wants to do is go faster.....

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've started using D and its a completely different car. Dynamic mode is awesome. I wouldn't go back to N now I think, but I'm curious what the difference is.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
large difference when you have a TCT... N is more economical, but I find A is better than N for driving. D isn't suited for slow driving like in urban areas as the gearbox hangs on to low gears.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a tct. Is it that much of a difference? I've only just got the car so I'm still adjusting.
Normal is so sluggish in my car. Maybe it's the tct and normal.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
It's a huge difference. A is better in town I find, faster to react at very low rpm. I have the diesel though.

But a remap would fix everything, so I'd have additional power in N and D + better response to throttle inputs in N + I hop they can get the box to downshift to 1st when rpm drops below 1000 RPM in 2nd.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree 100%. I think a remap would sort out normal mode. Something in between n and d would be great for everyday driving. D remapped would be the weekend drive.��

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Dont remap, just use a plug & play pedal box, for throttle response...
I would have thought a device like that would have a very dramatic effect on fuel consumption (consider the title of this thread) which would surely make it's fitment worse than pointless.

A good remap of 'N' mode on the other hand could perhaps improve driveability without compromising fuel consumption (hopefully even improve it)

If you have fitted it then perhaps you could provide some consumption figures ?

·
Registered
343 Posts
With my GQV I have found when driving in the city N or A gives better consumption than D but once on a stretch D is definitely better at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
N is more economical at motorway speeds in a QV, as in D the turbo spins up a lot quicker/sooner, so the slightest hill and your spinning up turbo and upping fuel to match.

Round town both are awful. Who's buys one for economy though?! ;)

·
Registered
945 Posts
Definitely N gives better figures but driven the same way it'll only be 2-4 mpg even less on cruising motorway journeys.

A good remap of 'N' mode on the other hand could perhaps improve driveability without compromising fuel consumption (hopefully even improve it)
Gus explained the other day how a good remap improves mpg in N and D even though your increasing power and torque availability, and its all because you have more torque available that you no longer need too put your foot down as much to achieve the same results so your not putting as much fuel through the car.

So basically you can still unlock all this power but your not forced too use it and its the not having to put your foot down as much too get similar results that gives you the better economy. Obviously putting your foot too the floor after a remap is going to use more fuel than putting your foot too the floor before the remap as your using all the extra torque and power noww available which needs more fuel.

·
Registered
175 Posts
6 mpg!

I was comparing D and N and the fuel computer does seem to suggest it's more economical in N.

What I did see while I was "playing" was a sustained figure of 6mpg on the current mpg on the fuel computer under full acceleration in 2nd/3rd gear when in D :wow:

That's one way to drop your average mpg down for the trip!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is there consumption difference between N & D modes if you drive same way or style..

I couldnt test it.. Anybody test the difference ?
The differences are a) system modes change this way in order D / N / A;

VDC; SPORT / SOPT / CONTROL
Q2; ON / OFF / OFF
STEERING; SPORT / SOFT / SOFT
OVERBOOST ON / OFF / OFF
POWER; SPORT / SOFT / SOFT

b) within these modes power is delivered more gradual in "N" and even more so in "A" mode to help with traction and help avoid ASR (anti slip) intervention.

I have a tct. Is it that much of a difference? I've only just got the car so I'm still adjusting.
Normal is so sluggish in my car. Maybe it's the tct and normal.
Especially with TCT you will note that in auto mode the gear changes up to top gear as soon as possible to achieve maximum fuel economy. That is how it is done, driving in taller gears as soon as possible. The downside is what people call "sluggish" performance.

If you have a manual (non TCT) you control the changes but there is a "shift" light on dash (only in "N" mode) to advise you to change, early in rev range (making use of peak torque) to try and match/achieve the TCT auto mode i.e. Max fuel economy set auto shifts. That is why the TCT has a certified better fuel economy than the manual (non TCT). Indeed almost all sequential dual clutch (all brands of car) have better fuel economy than their manual equivalent (the exceptions being only full performance only sport models).

However, as with non TCT, if you put the lever in to manual over ride in the TCT you can hold the gear longer and what was "sluggish" is no longer so "sluggish". But fuel economy suffers.

In "D" mode you will be using overboost, another 20nm torque and all the MA can muster under the factory spec map and whether you use auto TCT, manual non TCT or TCT in over ride you will d=find it very swift indeed. But definitely not the best fuel economy.

Hope this helps. BTW my comments are with experience on non diesel Alfa vehicles and 2.0 diesel VW Passat as an example.

PS Forget plug in tune box claims of "better fuel economy" because all you will get is more power at the cost of higher fuel usage.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there a difference between top speeds of N and D ? If there is much torque at D mode..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts