Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a 2008 Alfa 159 1.9JTDM and in the main am pretty pleased with it - it drives very well and is punchy enough. What I am not so pleased with is the fuel consumption. I had expected that motorway driving at 70-80mph would certainly get 50MPG - the same journey in my sons 2.2 Honda Civic will get high 50's. The Alfa however only managed 42.5 according to the trip computer. I wasn't going particularly fast and was aiming for economy for even instant MPG rarely made it past 45MPG at motorway speeds. Is this to be expected or should I be looking into a problem?

The car has 80K on it and in the last year had a new Turbo, EGR valve, timing belt, inlet manifold and Clutch/Flywheel so have been well maintained but I can't help get the feeling that perhaps the reason for sale was something else wrong... Thing is I can't tell anything from driving it - pulls well and doesn't miss-fire or stutter. Maybe I am expecting too much as it does seem to be a pretty heavy car?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe I should have researched this a bit more! Seems to be lots of threads on here about fuel economy and their figures don't differ wildly from mine. Still surprised that the Honda is SO much better as it also is a fairly old design engine. Anyway - any advice on DPF gutting / EGR removal and re-maps as that seems to be the way to go to improve both performance and economy!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
No idea where in the country but a EGR delete and a remap should be first on the list. Got mine from Autolusso and transformed the car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think the issue for the fuel consumption is the weight of the car. They're just too heavy. I have a 1.9JTDm and get very similar mpg to you. Mind you, I had a 1.8 petrol 156 before that so I was pleased with the economy!
Given the age of the car I would recommend getting a full service plus certain extras removed cleaned and replaced before spending anything on a remap. Too many have not been serviced as they should have been.

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
Ditching the EGR and DPF will gain you a few more MPG.

They consume extra fuel to make the car pollute less. :irked:

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's now illegal for a garage to advertise the removal of a DPF as a service. If you start with the obvious such as keeping the tyres correctly inflated and losing any excess weight in the car. The EGR delete will help a fraction with economy but should keep the inlet manifold in better condition too. If you don't already, try a couple of tanks of the uber-fuels from BP or Shell to see if that helps.
Maybe consider the remap as a last resort since its human nature to press on harder for the excitement of acceleration which will ensure more frequent trips to the pumps.
"The car has 80K on it and in the last year had a new Turbo, EGR valve, timing belt, inlet manifold and Clutch/Flywheel so have been well maintained but I can't help get the feeling that perhaps the reason for sale was something else wrong... Thing is I can't tell anything from driving it - pulls well and doesn't miss-fire or stutter. Maybe I am expecting too much as it does seem to be a pretty heavy car?"
The car is a little on the heavy side and maybe not as aerodynamic as its predecessor so when added up this can make economy slightly poorer than other comparative models.
More worrying perhaps is the need for a new turbo, egr valve inlet manifold and clutch/flywheel after just 80k miles. Does anyone else think this is excessive wear or another example of work being done without need?

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
A clutch and flywheel could certainly be needed at 80k, as they depend on how the car has been driven.

EGR valve could also need a good clean, and the manifold is probably quite clogged as well, but as before depends largely on how it has been driven.

It is quite a moderate mileage for it's age, which sort of suggests that it has done shorter journeys, and shorter journeys sre not good for modern Diesels.

The turbo I wouldn't expect to need replacing, unless the car has been run low on oil or has skipped services.

However I did read somewhere that a clogged DPF on some cars can cause enough backpressure to stop a turbo spinning properly, and that can lead to the turbo bearings failing as they will overheat and not be lubricated properly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently, according to the previous owner, the turbo and egr were replaced hunting down a poor running issue which turned out to be an issue with the intake manifold. I'm just outside of Scunthorpe so any suggestions welcome for a local tuner who can do the egr delete and map.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not exactly local to Scunthorpe but JJB Motors in York use Alfatune maps. Alfatune are probably the best up north, you could always go to them direct, they're in St. Helens. When I have the pennies I'll be taking my 159 there, I'm in Hull.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've called a local firm 'map tech' who re-mapped my sons Honda, and they are able to re-map the Alfa also and remove the EGR / DPF at the same time. They have suggested that if the EGR isn't leaking that I can just leave it where it is and the map will just not open it so it will effectively do nothing. They have also said that I would really need to either remove or gut the DPF prior to the re-map to ensure there are no issues. Has anyone else used Map-Tech in Brigg and if so any experiences and is what they are telling me about the EGR correct? Sounds plausible just want to confirm. I'm not after more power really just better driveability and economy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If the map doesn't open the EGR then it will certainly stay closed. I'd be tempted to put a blanking plate in place anyway just to avoid any leaks. They're cheap and easy to fit.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Any EGR map means EGR fully closed. May be easily blanked.
No EGR mappers who can manage to erase EGR from ECU completely.
So if you go further to strip EGR device off physically from the car you need to put some resistor on EGR socket.
I stay with it.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
As above, check all the sensors, MAF, MAP, boost sensor, tyre pressure (it always drops when the temperature does), and tracking (if you are scrubbing the front insides, then you are scrubbing fuel too). My MPG is always terrible for the first 10 miles of any journey.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts