Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Oh effin marveous. The fuel cap jammed on my car today and as I was worried about breaking my only key I had to drill down the centre of the lock barrel a few times to free it up.

Just beware everyone alfa fuel cap locks are tat. I had a few alfa 33 ones do this also :rant:

Lee

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can imagine how chuffed I was last night when I went to my local petrol station. Which happens to be next to the port so its always wet cold and windy and Im comming down with a bad cold. Yep I was exstatic :mad:

Lee

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine seized not long after getting the car. I sprayed WD40 into the lock and left it for 20 mins. It free'd it up. I then took the cap off and loaded the lock with PTFE oil I nicked from work. Not had a problem since (2 years since).

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, WD40 does the trick. Standard procedure: 1. Buy Alfa 2. Spray all locks with WD40 3. Enjoy :cool:

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Never had a problem in 4 years but then i never lock the cap just leave it unlocked and screw it off and back on ;) :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same as Speed, when I HAD a 155 never locked the fuel cap.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The feul caps ara sheet anyway...............i have a hell of a job twisting mine off!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
bearing in mind i do have alot of other keys on my keyring :rant: :rant:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Best thing to do is seperate them and keep the car keys away from the house and all those others.

A few years ago someone demonstrated the wear on an ignition lock from a bunch of keys......hold the metal part of the ignition key between two fingers, then you'll realise how much the lock will have to put up with. Had mine seperate ever since :D

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but..i need the keys all together :rolleyes: :rolleyes: i have a habbit of loseing them!! :mad: the bigger the keys, the better :D

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Koody said:
Yep, WD40 does the trick. Standard procedure: 1. Buy Alfa 2. Spray all locks with WD40 3. Enjoy :cool:
Well in the Pre FIAT-ALFA days ie with the original 116 series etc I used to buy new Alfa then spay the whole underside of car with WD40 including suspension, wheel arches, engine bay and engine gearbox ,not only the locks. :eek:
Then I would spray the car again several times each year.

Still spray the suspension on my 147.

WD40- THE ALFA Owners Friend :D

·
Registered
550 Posts
You are not alone Stori, I do it also ! ;)

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Stori said:
Well in the Pre FIAT-ALFA days ie with the original 116 series etc I used to buy new Alfa then spay the whole underside of car with WD40 including suspension, wheel arches, engine bay and engine gearbox ,not only the locks. :eek:
Then I would spray the car again several times each year.

Still spray the suspension on my 147.

WD40- THE ALFA Owners Friend :D
Hey Stori, at the risk of going off-topic, (oops, too late!) do you use WD-40 on the suspension bushes as well? Mine are creaking a bit, I was worried about the WD-40 reacting with the rubber? :( Advice would be appreciated, it's starting to drive me mad :mad:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pop down to Halfords, they do a lubricant for bushes and rubber. WD40 does rot rubber apparantly.

wrinx

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
mave said:
Hey Stori, at the risk of going off-topic, (oops, too late!) do you use WD-40 on the suspension bushes as well? Mine are creaking a bit, I was worried about the WD-40 reacting with the rubber? :( Advice would be appreciated, it's starting to drive me mad :mad:
Aren't we meant to go off topic :D ;)

I used WD40 for 19 years on the suspension bushes of a 1983 Alfetta GTV 2.0 without any ill effects.

After 100,000 kms/62,000 miles all the rubber bushes where still like original.
On inspection, prior to selling, a local Alfa speciallist was surprised that they were still original and still in excellent condition

In fact I can only remember one rubber component being affected by WD40 and it was an insignificant component under the bonent. Cannot remember what the component was but it softened a little too much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts