Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm?

I sent a ranty email* to the dealer today about the stupid charging system and the rear demister. i also mentioned the fuel cap cover being out of shape. and they phoned me to book me in. i havent bothered to have the fuel cap thing sorted as others have advised that it makes no difference as it just goes out of shape again, plus there is risk of crappy paint job. The guy on the phone told me there is a new one, as others have had the same issue.

Anyone in the know?

*it wasnt rude, i was just fed up, and to be fair my dealer has been fine.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
My heated rear screen has stopped working again too. My dealer told me to raise it with Alfa Customer Service directly. They said there wasn't a fix for it at the moment and the Stelvio is the same. They suggested that the more people that complain to AR directly, the more chance of a proper fix. I've called them (AR CS) and they're raising a case.
Might help if you do as well. In fact the more complaints the better.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
Is there some way i can contact them online? Surely the dealers should be able to do this on our behalf though.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
My rear screen also has been working intermittently over the last few weeks. When I checked with MES the IBS reported state of charge has been around 50%!!! Then over the weekend the rear Demister started working suddenly. But since yesterday when I actually need it for the cold snap and ice, NOT working again. Car is booked in next week for its first MOT and in have asked dealer to raise a case with Italy. Once they do that I will also raise a complaint with ARCC to support what Smarty has already done. I think it may be worth starting a new thread just for this issue and see how many people on here are finding the problem. Its ridiculous. A new battery and a BCM was fitted last year so it's not the battery but the stupid charging logic.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh i agree its the charging logic thats rubbish. However, when i got the car, it was fine for the first 9 months. Then the start stop went, then the demister stopped. If i charge it up again, it all works but not for long. This suggests to my that the battery is now a bit knackered, due to not being charged properly. There has been plenty of chatter on here about it ages ago, so the dealers must have had plenty of complaints about it. If they had reported it, maybe we would have a fix by now.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
No. My MOT is booked with the dealer and they are also aware of the non functional rear demister.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I've just had my second genuine Alfa battery fitted in under six months under warranty as my Stop/Start wasn't working, neither was the HRS. Both working again now. There were also a number of software updates that were all done along with a full health check and oil top-up under warranty.

I had a new fuel flap fitted too. It's a perfect colour match so let's see how long it lasts (unless it's now a superseded part?).

Can't believe the S/S and HRS was a duff battery but you never know. Bloody expensive fixes for Alfa. Only got another three months or so on the warranty so I'm glad these things got sorted!

Just got to update my sat nav when the 16GB flash drive arrives tomorrow. You only get three years' of free updates apparently and I can't see that it's been done - well not according to Alfa or the MOPAR site anyway.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Give it 6 months and you'll need another one. Until they sort out the charging logic this will keep happening.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You'd think alfa would already be looking into this, without us having to raise a case with them. having a replace a bunch of batteries on new cars should be obvious that something is a miss.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Fuel flap was replaced yesterday at Monza Sport. Great guys who go the extra mile. The car is as good as it possibly can be with every software update completed now including an instrument cluster update (which stops the central section between the dials going black - if this happens, it's new instrument cluster time - ouch!). I'm sure some of the graphics have been updated too...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool. Could you take a picture of the inside of the fuel flap? Maybe it looks different to mine somehow, confirming there is a new one.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Give it 6 months and you'll need another one. Until they sort out the charging logic this will keep happening.
HRW worked again yesterday and today after not working Mon, Tues. Great that it chose to work when there was no ice on the car!!
This evening I checked IBS reported charge status and it was 71%. All of these 4 days I have driven exactly the same 40 miles each day. HRW worked only 2 of those days. So my newish battery replaced an year ago does seem to hold charge when it does get charged by the system. Not sure if it will ever climb to 80 or 90+ % ever with this idiotic charging logic or the Idiotic Battery Sensor (IBS).

Some things I noticed.

HRW cannot be switched on and the LED on the button does not light up unless engine is running.

LED can be lit and the HRW may not still work.

When HRW does work, as soon as you press the button to turn it on I see a Voltage drop of about 0.1 to 0.2V at the 12v socket inside the armrest.

When HRW does not work there is no voltage drop how many ever times you press the button even though the LED may be lit. So when I see no drop in voltage I know the HRW wont work and I proceed to scrape or wipe the rear window in the morning if its iced up.

20200122_191848.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
@metalgod23 I’ve noticed after I disconnected and reconnected my battery (while changing my steering wheel last weekend) that since then, start/stop has worked every day since. Meaning battery condition has been pretty good.
it usually rarely works unless I’ve driven 50+ miles.
I don’t know, but maybe the system has reset somehow. Just hypothesising...

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
@metalgod23 I’ve noticed after I disconnected and reconnected my battery (while changing my steering wheel last weekend) that since then, start/stop has worked every day since. Meaning battery condition has been pretty good.
it usually rarely works unless I’ve driven 50+ miles.
I don’t know, but maybe the system has reset somehow. Just hypothesising...
Yes if you disconnect the battery the IBS goes into learning mode. Maybe that would explain it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Check this video out for the MY2020 Giulia were you will see a dimple on the fuel flap. I believe this was not present on MY2019 cars

·
Registered
377 Posts
Could be just a dent, cant see why they would put a dimple there as part of the manufacturing process.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts