Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Halfrauds today and saw ther massive range of fuel additives (comma, redex etc) that claim to clear injectors, speed up your car etc
Are they worth it at all?
Are there any risks in using them?
Can they knacker your engine?

They claim that if you pour a bottle into your tank your engine will be magically like new - is this the case?

I have a 2.0 TS and it's pretty good as is, that said I'm happy to treat t to anything that could make it better! :)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
As a student I used to squirt copious quantities of Redex into the carbs, great fun, big black plume of smoke, but when the head had to come off the piston crowns were still coated in hardened coke and the Redex had just been a rather enjoyable way of polluting the planet.

I hear that injector cleaner does make a difference though.

N

·
0 Posts
I've used injector cleaner/treatment ever since
it cured a problem on my old Mazda. ;)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I lob some fuel system cleaner in every 12k miles, even though I always use fuel such a V Power nee Optimax :)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
You mean White don't you Bodger?? Tried that stuff to clean the exhaust. Worked, cleared the whole system, rear box baffles an' all!Came flyin' out no problem. Potent Stuff'

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Injector cleaners are worth it - each 'new' old car I've had (currently '98 gtv TS like yours) has benefited a fair bit. I usually run the tank nearly dry, put in a bottle then fill to 50/70 full and blast around for a few days. It does clear the injection system out. I also use V-power every 4 tanks or so to keep things clean, and I do notice a difference with it.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Haven't lifted the head,or pulled the injectors,or for that matter taken the plugs out yet, but am prepared to accept that the new fuels are up to their claims. Can't be sure of course, but use V power now, most of the time, she runs very well so far, so I'm a Happy Chappie.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I had the petrol tanks replaced on my 33, and afterwards the fuel pump was a bit noisy, as if it was partly blocked and struggling to pump. I used a bottle of reddex on it, and it stopped the noise. So, I think it does work.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
That's interesting Gary, David C told me the filter is in the fuel tank, I was totally unaware of this. Always had canister, or element type in the past, so reckon refined top notch fuel is a must now I suppose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I see that Redex also do a Diesel version, does anyone on here have any experience of using this particular product?

·
Registered
662 Posts
a mate who used to race bikes advanced the timing very very slightly and mixed leaded and unleaded together as he found that because they used different octane boosters the combined fuel had a higher octane than either fuel seprately.
i wonder if this works with LRP and UL?

anyone a chemical analyst?

·
Vendor
46,128 Posts
I see that Redex also do a Diesel version, does anyone on here have any experience of using this particular product?
I used redex diesel treatment, noticed a big difference when I first used it (about 95K), since then have't really noticed much difference when using it. Normally every 5k miles. However AlfaNige said its useless, doesn't properly dissolve the residue just moves it around. He put a shot of this other stuff he had in my tank, hopefully he'll come on here and name it cause I haven't the foggiest :D

·
Registered
662 Posts
My Alfa seems to always run cleanly but my Porsche 924 (2 litre Audi engine) does often run rough at lower revs. I stuck a whole bottle of something or other from Halfords (it had NOX in the title so it must have been good!) and it made no difference.
What DRAMATICALLY improved running was replacing all the HTs leads and it now runs sweet as a nut
I don't doubt that the additives DO work as they have improved running on previous occasions but you can't alwys rely on them to cure some problems.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Me' old 'E' Type,triple SU's would only run on the top rated octane stuff! Anything else, it ran like a pig! Sorry Porkers, no offence meant.Don't think it's easy to define the effectiveness of additives, unless you can do some sort of technical before and after test. Better shut up now after my previous comments on Friction Proofing by Wynn's, which came in for so much derision.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Moderate amount of Paraffin sounds reasonable. During the last fuel crisis '72 or something, tried a 50/50 mixture, highly illegal, in a certain motor.Burnt the pistons badly, top compression/flame ring jumped out the top groove. Managed to get the last four pistons off the shelf from the agent. What a stupid trial that was!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts