Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, I'm a relative newbie here with a very frustrating problem, concerning a big red Alfa 146 sitting dead outside my house.
It decided to go on permanent holiday the day before we were going on ours to Scotland from here in Grimsby, which caused great consternation in the house especially from her indoors, and relieved me of 190 quid for a hire car!
Anyway, I'm back now and will yet again venture under the bonnet.
Car was running fine, with an occasional flicker of the red injector light for a couple of weeks. Then with no warning dead as a doornail. Code light goes out ok, as do all other lights, then the red injector light appears and stays there laughing at me.
Fuel pump is priming, and I have checked and changed all relays around the battery.
I am now thinking Crank Sensor, which seems to sit close to the starter motor plugged into the top of the bell housing (3 Wires).
Any ideas would be very much appreciated, cheers.:confused:

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I take it the engine is turning over ok,
i.e. battery is cranking ok...

I think the crank sensor does give the same symptoms as you suggest,

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,yes, cranking over fine, have removed battery and tray, and can see the sensor, which seems to be screwed directly into the bell housing. The missus can get her hand in ok, but mine is too big. There doesn't seem to be a smaller bolt holding it in place though, as mentioned on various other posts.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
No your not looking at the crank sensor, that the reversing light switch, the crank sensor is on the back of te engine underneath the starter motor and best accessed from underneath, it does exactly what you described as it starts to die, but normally allows it to start again once cooled down. I suggest you put the battery back in and lift the front of the car up, disconnect and remove the downpipe, support the engine and remove the lower mount bracket, then you can get at the sensor.

http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=enginerebuild199alg5.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, ok then thanks. Off all this week, so will get to work on the bugger first thing tomorrow.
Cheers all
Steve

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
I would have a look at the relays under the covers next to the battery before going any further. The contacts corrode and cause a non starting car. One is for the fuel pump, another for the injection, another for the cam variator. There is also one for the air con if you have it fitted.

There are also a couple of fuses under there that can suffer corroded terminals.

If it still won't start after cleaning up all that then it does sound like the crank sensor.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Thanks, that was last months project car 145 2.0 cloverleaf, the black ring you can see on the crank is the timing wheel that this sensor takes it pick up from.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Newsflash!!
IT LIVES!!
Had a hell of a job getting hold of a new crank sensor, mine typically being an oddball 3 pin one, but Shop 4 spares in Bradford had one on the shelf for £55.including VAT. Got the old VFR out and shot over from Grimsby. Took about an hour to fit, not as bad as I thought really, had to drop the front pipe connection, and it was then fairly straightforward.
Many many thanks to all on this board, don't know what I would have done.
Thanks people, a beer will be waiting in Grimsby for any of you !!
Steve

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Newsflash!!
IT LIVES!!
Had a hell of a job getting hold of a new crank sensor, mine typically being an oddball 3 pin one, but Shop 4 spares in Bradford had one on the shelf for £55.including VAT. Got the old VFR out and shot over from Grimsby. Took about an hour to fit, not as bad as I thought really, had to drop the front pipe connection, and it was then fairly straightforward.
Many many thanks to all on this board, don't know what I would have done.
Thanks people, a beer will be waiting in Grimsby for any of you !!
Steve
Good news, I'll be in Beverly in Jan so could I make it a Magners?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AAAARRGGHH !!
The bloody injector light has rreturned!!
This time it still runs, but I've had enough, and it's gone in to have a diagnostic check, up to press they've foound 4 faults, including crank sensor(?!), and temp sensor, but it's now going onto the Bosch diagnostic rig to try and narrow down the problem.
Will keep you posted.
Steve

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
just remember all this stuff is German, made by Bosch, nothiing to do with dodgy Italian electrics. The fuel injection and ignition systems on a 145/146 are the same as a BMW 3 series of the same vintage, so should be no less reliable.

Not much comfort I know when your car won't work, but Alfa are innocent.

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
AAAARRGGHH !!
The bloody injector light has rreturned!!
This time it still runs, but I've had enough, and it's gone in to have a diagnostic check, up to press they've foound 4 faults, including crank sensor(?!), and temp sensor, but it's now going onto the Bosch diagnostic rig to try and narrow down the problem.
Will keep you posted.
Steve
The crank sensor fault will still be stored in the ECU memory from when it was playing up.

The fault may also have registered a cam phase sensor error, as the ECU correlated information between the cam sensor and the crank sensor to determine when to fire the injectors and the spark plugs. If one sensor fails the ECU cannot do this.

Let us know how you get on. :thumbs:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Symonh 2000, you are amazing !
ABSOLUTELY what they told me!!
All fault codes have been cleared, also crud in the temp sensor connections cleaned out. Running as sweet as a nut (At the moment)
Cheers
Steve

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
just remember all this stuff is German, made by Bosch,
IN SLOVAKIA
nothiing to do with dodgy Italian electrics. The fuel injection and ignition systems on a 145/146 are the same as a BMW 3 series of the same vintage, so should be no less reliable.

Not much comfort I know when your car won't work, but Alfa are innocent.
Alfa maped it and got better performance from it, where as BMW didn't use the TS feature on it and so the ECU is only workinghalf as hard so tends to seem to be more reliable in the Autobahn cruiser.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts