Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, newbie to this site...but 3rd Alfa. Should have found this years ago!
Got a GT with the Sat Nav head unit. Got an ipod attachment cable. All good.
I've read the various threads and playlists works as designed, excellent. However, I can't see anywhere how you set the ipod/head unit to "ipod user interface"...i.e let the ipod control the functions. Passenger wants control!
Hope you can help.....

·
Premium Member
13,135 Posts
Hiya Scaryfez. Don't know if you can return the control to the i-pod (although I only have the Blaupunk unit). I think it's a 'safety feature' that once the i-pod is plugged in to the car it will only work from the steering wheel, or head unit controls to discourage people from playing with the i-pod whilst driving.
Could be wrong thogh. Welcome to AO :thumbs:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I can control my ipod using its own controls - this is more a matter of i needed to though as the steering wheel controls would not work with the Blaupunkt cable i bought, and my particular Alfa head unit.

I had to open up the box on the cable and snip 2 of the cables. These cables where the ones that linked the control part of the head unit to the ipod.

Apologies i cannot be a bit more detailed, it was quite a while back now, but just thought i'd let you know that it can be done.

I can now select Shuffle, certain albums, track,artists, just as you normally would when listening to an ipod, i am not constricted to just using Playlists. However, i no longer can use the headunit/steering controls with the ipod other than for volume.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi There Ive got a GT with the Blaupunkt standard stereo and ipod lead. I had the same problem as you recently when my battery went flat. It took me ages to suss out as the instructions I downloaded were so poor(Dension ice link). Basically you need to set up the Ipod UI (user interface). On mine I pressed 6 (radio station selection normally) which gets you into the ipod menu then press the down button on car stereo. Now the ipod should display Set up Ipod UI, Playlists, Album, Langauge. Select Ipod UI by RW (rewind button)on car unit. Once the ipod UI is highlighted on the ipod press and hold FF (fast forward on car unit) until the ipod says disconnect/re-connect. Follow that instruction and you should be able to control from the ipod. I hope this is some help
:thumbs:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, sorry, that doesn't work. I have a different head unit. Mine is the Sat Nav / inbuilt phone / trip etc. unit which is apparently made by Magnetti Marelli....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
No, sorry, that doesn't work. I have a different head unit. Mine is the Sat Nav / inbuilt phone / trip etc. unit which is apparently made by Magnetti Marelli....:rolleyes:
I might be wrong,but I think the Dension page says compatible with 937 high,and not magnetti`s:confused:

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
In the 147 and 159, I never got the Ipod controls to work, all you could do was navigate the first 99 tracks of the first 9 playlists.

Thats all its meant to do, its the Alfa Accessory one I had.

I'm on BLue and Me now!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've just checked...it's not the Dension cable...it's an Alfa branded one. Only part numbers listed on it are 7180 3197 and 7180 4065. I'll have a dig about for this now. Thanks. :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts