Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Keep getting frozen out of my new spider is there any way to stop this happening. I have tried coating the the locks in WD40 to drive out any moisture ( it worked on my evo ) but its still as bad as ever. Any ideas please.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Welcome to AO Frosty:thumbs:

Are you sure it's the locks:confused:

I take it you're using the remote to open the car?

Probably the metal & glass freezing to the sealing rubbers. Use silicone or rubber & nylon lubricant (not WD40) from Halfords on the seals and Bob's your Mother's Brother:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Happened to me this morning. The rimless windows were frozen and wouldn't come down far enough to clear the door frame. Had to pour some water over the window whilst unlocking and locking until it freed up. Design flaw?Maybe it never frosts over the winter in Milan...

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO....:HAPPY:.....do you happen to live just done the road from a school????.....if you do I have the red GTV just up the road....

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Happened to me this morning. The rimless windows were frozen and wouldn't come down far enough to clear the door frame. Had to pour some water over the window whilst unlocking and locking until it freed up. Design flaw?Maybe it never frosts over the winter in Milan...
It's common to all frame less side window cars.

Plenty of silicone lube on the seals (spray onto a cloth or tissue then apply) sorts the issue:thumbs:

·
Registered
972 Posts
It's common to all frame less side window cars.

Plenty of silicone lube on the seals (spray onto a cloth or tissue then apply) sorts the issue:thumbs:
Ha...and I've just read on another thread that the 159 would be better if it had frameless windows! :cheese::lol::cheese: Personally, every morning when my car lets me get in out of the cold, I think Alfa got it just right with the 159 ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its not the windows freezing, they actually come down and i still cant get in the car! Plenty of hot water over the handles and around lock area and i can get in. Which makes me think its a fault with the locks,maybe moisture inside.
Odyssey21 yes i do live near a school and the school you are on about..........small world!

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
Odyssey21 yes i do live near a school and the school you are on about..........small world!
Will have to meet sometime, I live up near newsagents, 1 S B Close.......:)

U

·
0 Posts
its not the windows freezing, they actually come down and i still cant get in the car! Plenty of hot water over the handles and around lock area and i can get in. Which makes me think its a fault with the locks,maybe moisture inside.
Hey you have a stalker already - normally takes us years to get one of those! :cheese:

D

·
0 Posts
tried silocen oil,vaseline,and other polish type products and still cant get my frozen window to work so i can get in,i think the window motor must freeze up.after driving for 20 mins or so with heater blasting on window it does eventualy free off. so until the weather changes it looks like i'm prying the door open with the window stuck up. the passenger side is the same as well.

N

·
0 Posts
Vaseline is an emulsion with water, I think. So will freeze.
As will probably everything else.

You want proper silicone grease.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I got frozen out of my 159 the day it snowed heavy then froze solid. Tried both doors and niether opened, it took 5 minutes and sevral attempts to finally open. The not so funny part was on the way home i took a sharp corner and the passenger door flew open. Some how and i have no idea how while trying to open it that morning it unlocked it with the door closed? And it seemed to lock ok which doesnt make sense.

Anyway, for frameless windows i would shut the door with an old torn up bed sheet during this very cold period.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I guess the door mechanism on your passenger door must have moved to the position that allows the door to open, then frozen in that position (rather than returning when the handle was released). It was probably just the ice around the door seal that was still holding it closed. I assume you haven't activated the 'drive-away' doorlocking? Presumably, if the door was locked it wouldn't have flown open when the ice thawed?

·
Registered
934 Posts
this seems to be a hot topic :lol:

just came back from halfords with a can of silicone spray
hopefuly I'll be able to open the driver's door tomorrow :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I guess the door mechanism on your passenger door must have moved to the position that allows the door to open, then frozen in that position (rather than returning when the handle was released). It was probably just the ice around the door seal that was still holding it closed. I assume you haven't activated the 'drive-away' doorlocking? Presumably, if the door was locked it wouldn't have flown open when the ice thawed?
i do have the drive away door lock activated and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, anyway i now know not to do that again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since the frreeze my nearside electric folding mirror on my Brera has decided to stay put until lunchtime then its fine until the next morning, anyone else had the same problem.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Since the frreeze my nearside electric folding mirror on my Brera has decided to stay put until lunchtime then its fine until the next morning, anyone else had the same problem.
Can't say I blame it - in this weather I'd prefer not to wake up until lunch-time too! :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts