Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess my Super is getting on a bit (123K miles) but it seems determined to use up my week-ends.

I successfully changed the brake and clutch fluids last week-end but when I went for the test drive I noticed the steering was not straight ahead, the car was trying to veer off to one side ever so slightly.

As I had been getting excessive inner tyre wear I took it to my local Tyre Services to get the tracking done. They told me this would be a waste of time as the bottom ball joints were knackered. They could grab the front wheel and move it a few degrees from side to side.

Does this sound like bottome ball joints (not upper)?

From the forum it sounds as if I have to change the complete wishbones rather than just the ball joints. Are there any hints or tips on this?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
dead easy - 3 or 4 bolts and the jobs done. Only wee bit tricky thing is undoing the bottom balljoint from the hub but with a proper ball joint splitter it's dead easy....i've got a nearside wishbone if you're looking? Got it from buypartsby a wee while back but never fitted it....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Niall

I have now got home and went through my pile of receipts and see that my local garage replaced what they called the "lower suspension arms" on both sides just 18 months ago. I cannot remember if this was on the front or the back though.
I will have to investigate further.
Chris

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were £130 each side. The part number of the bill is 615510130/40.

They were done at the place where I get my MOTs done. I don't want to make a fuss as he is generally ok and usually let's me know that something needs doing but still passes the car and let's me sort it out. However, they should have lasted longer than 18 months and 17,000 miles.

Is there anything on the rear suspension or something else on the front that he could call "lower suspension arms".

Chris

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
hmmm - not really....only thing i could think of (if they are actually knackered) is that they've used faulty/crappy parts? Unless he's referring to the "merc" bearing/knuckle/rose bush on the rear?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update.
I took the car back to the garage that replaced the wishbones 18 months ago. They put it on the ramp and we checked out the front suspension. Both lower wishbones were perfect. The near side wishbone had very slight movement but would easily pass an MOT.

I can only think that the place I took it for tracking cocked up or just did not want to do the job. I will try somewhere else next week.

Anyway it looks like I don't have to spend a couple of hundred quid and spend hours in the cold.

Just got to do the handbrake cable now, before the MOT in 3 weeks time.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts