Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a problem with the front windshield wipers of my 2007 Alfa GT 2.0 jts. About half a year ago, I wanted to turn off the front wipers. Unfortunately that did not work. In the off modus, interval modus and constant modus the wipers stayed on in constant mode. However, putting the switch in the fastets position did make de wipers go faster. To stop the wipers I removed the fuse.
Miraculously the next day all problems with the wipers were gone. Once in a while the problem popped up again, but I noticed that if I rapidly moved te switch with small motions between two settings up and down the wipers worked as they should.
But now this trick does not work anymore and therefor I realy need to figure out what causes the wipers to stay on all the time.
Online I read that the simplest thing to do for troubleshooting this issue is changing the relay. I tried to figure out where to find this relay, but on the fuse and relay overviews that I see online I can’t seem find it..
Hopefully you can think along and help me in my quest on figuring out how to repair my wiper system.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I don't know exactly where the work relay in a GT is but engine off, ignition on you should be able to hear it click when operated (or maybe not, in this case).

I wonder if the wiper motor has shorted though. Access to wiper motor is below the scuttle trim and the whole thing will need removed first for access to is multi plug. You could test whether it has an earth and a constant positive supply when ignition is on. If there are 2 positive supplies with ignition on but wiper switch off, the fault is possibly the relay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know exactly where the work relay in a GT is but engine off, ignition on you should be able to hear it click when operated (or maybe not, in this case).

I wonder if the wiper motor has shorted though. Access to wiper motor is below the scuttle trim and the whole thing will need removed first for access to is multi plug. You could test whether it has an earth and a constant positive supply when ignition is on. If there are 2 positive supplies with ignition on but wiper switch off, the fault is possibly the relay.
Thank you for the reply, My plan is to first figure out where the relay is, before I go into the proces of removing the scuttle trim etc.
In this overview I don't see the relay foor the wiper. Could it be that the relay is integrated in the wiper motor itself?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't recall the exact diagram for this wiper, but I think that there is a contact in the round assembly on the motor which connects to ground when you switch the wipers of. This point will connect just as the wipers 'bottoms', and just there (and only there) shortens the motor, which will make it stop instantly. My guess is that this switch is somewhat burned.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
afaik, the actual switching of the wipers is controlled by the bodycomputer.....
edit: apparently not, it seems there's a unit H005 that controls the wiper, see description below

For description, see :
Thanks a lot for the discription. In addition to your point about H005 the discription also states “the electronic device inside the steering column switch unit H5 and the controls on the right side of the lever are supplied at pin11 of connector A by the line (int/a) of the relay T12...
Isn’t that the relay I should check?

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
Thanks a lot for the discription. In addition to your point about H005 the discription also states “the electronic device inside the steering column switch unit H5 and the controls on the right side of the lever are supplied at pin11 of connector A by the line (int/a) of the relay T12...
Isn’t that the relay I should check?
If I look at the circuit description, relay T12 is merely a relay switched on with ignition, supplying power to the wiper control circuit.
I would expect this relay to actually feed more circuits, so I would think you would notice if it did not work.... However, it can't hurt to check this, as it's simply located in the fusebox....Maybe you're lucky ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
However, it can't hurt to check this, as it's simply located in the fusebox....Maybe you're lucky ;)
Haha I doubt it..
if t12 is working correct, is it safe to say that a defect in the stalk unit (H5) is causing the problems I have with the wiper blades or are there any other elements i have to check before that statement can be made? For example the suggestion Fruity made about the ground connections of the wiper motor.

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
Haha I doubt it..
if t12 is working correct, is it safe to say that a defect in the stalk unit (H5) is causing the problems I have with the wiper blades or are there any other elements i have to check before that statement can be made? For example the suggestion Fruity made about the ground connections of the wiper motor.
I'd certainly check the wipers, it's as said a standard feature that these usualy have a mechanical contact to make sure they park in the correct position.
Otherwise I'd give the stalk unit a good look-over...
Maybe also check the actual wiper connections etc.
some additional info on the wipers etc.see :

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I doubt that you will find the defect under the steering wheel. Can you borrow another motor without the wiper arm mechanism, and connect it instead of the one installed? See if that works.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Stratos, Fruity and JWQ for thinking along!

In recap (and correct me if i'm wrong):

The problem:
how the wipers should work (elearning)how they work now
Pos. 1= No circuit activated (STABILE) [POS. REST]; ll wipers stay on continious 1st speed
Pos. 2 = Panic function (UNSTABLE) [ANTICLOCKWISE]; wipers stay on continious 1st speed
Pos. 3 = Intermittent / Automatic(STABLE) [CLOCKWISE]; wipers stay on continious 1st speed
Pos. 4= Continuous 1st SPEED (STABLE) [CLOCKWISE];wipers stay on continious 1st speed
Pos. 4= Continuous 2nd SPEED (STABLE) [CLOCKWISE];wipers stay on continious 2nd speed

Actions to find element that is causing this:

• ckeck mechanical contact in the round assembly on the motor which connects to ground when you switch the wipers. could be burned, corroded
  • give stalk unit a good look over. (If I read the elearnings correct, detaching the steeringwheel is inevatable for this, right?)

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
It's possible that the fault lies in the motor. This thread may help:

Different symptoms to yours, but it's worth trying.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi! I took the wiper motor out. Do you see anything out of the ordinary, because I can’t..
would you recommend cleaning everything up? And if so, what type of greasers in there? So I know what I need to put back

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
Doesn't look too bad, but I'd clean the collector and check carbon brushes (pic 1), and perhaps clean the contacts of grease (pic 2) to make sure they actually make contact.
Possibly you need white lithium grease, or sillicone grease

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Roberttt

First I would collect as much as possible of the grease that's already there, and apply it again in the right spots just before you close the assembly again.

When you have cleaned the white plastik, it appear that there sits a brass part. It might have two traces from the two 'fingers' from the other photo on the right side. These traces probably need at good polish. Do you have a glass brush? The contact/poor contact(?) between this brass and the fingers might have caused your problem.

The other greased contacts in the middle of second photo also should have a good clean. And while you have it all out, consider to lubricate the motor bearings and polish the commutator.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hi Roberttt

First I would collect as much as possible of the grease that's already there, and apply it again in the right spots just before you close the assembly again.

When you have cleaned the white plastik, it appear that there sits a brass part. It might have two traces from the two 'fingers' from the other photo on the right side. These traces probably need at good polish. Do you have a glass brush? The contact/poor contact(?) between this brass and the fingers might have caused your problem.

The other greased contacts in the middle of second photo also should have a good clean. And while you have it all out, consider to lubricate the motor bearings and polish the commutator.

Thanks Stratos and JWQ!

three questions :)

-With ‘check the carbon brushes’ do you mean that I should clean the carbon deposit of those brushes?

- I don’t have a glass brush. What can I best use for cleaning and polishing the brass parts

- ‘applying grease on the right spots’ where would that be?

i feel really stupid asking these questions 😅 but I really don’t know..
and that’s what technical forums are also about right.. 😁

edit. By the way, I do sea a black line on both brass parts.Maybe that is causing a poor/no contact

1 - 20 of 32 Posts