Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Since Saturday's snow here in the UK, my front nozzles aren't working - hardly ideal given the inch thick layer of salt on the roads. There is plenty of fluid, nothing is frozen, and the rear nozzle seems to squirt just fine. Any thoughts before I take my month old G back to the shop (an embarrassing climbdown after insisting to family and friends that alfa had turned reliability issues around!)?

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Unless you have the winter pack with heated washer jets, it is a good possibility that the jets have frozen up.
The screen wash in the pipes might be liquid but the hole in the jets can freeze easily.
Mine were frozen on Fri/Sat but was ok with the temp 3deg above on Sunday.
I have ordered the heated jets (on Sat) and will fit them myself next weekend.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
If you can hear the pump then the pipes may have disconnected from the nozzles. It's functioning as designed - if there's a blockage at the nozzle you don't want to blow the fuse for the pump, or force a piece of grit onto the screen.
From memory, there are a couple of plastic inserts on the underside of the bonnet near where each nozzle is. If you pull them off, you should be able to see the pipes. If one is disconnected, then push it back onto the nozzle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
... I have the same problem.

Pretty cold over here the last couple of weeks, and my rear nozzle wasn't working. Yesterday, the front ones gave up the ghost as well (after being in my work's undergorund car park and thouroughly defrosted).

The pump is still responding but it's making a different sound. This could be the hoses that disconnected as you guys suggest, but yesterday I smelt a weird odour... I'm thinking (hoping) this might have been fluid leaking onto hot engine parts. Surely, if a fuse burnt out, the pump wouldn't be responding, or there would be an error message?

Where do I find the windscreen wiper fluid pump under the bonnet? How do I check the hoses?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Thanks - I've taken a look under the bonnet, and indeed one of the tubes had come undone. I tried sticking it back in, which worked briefly, albeit without much pressure, and is now not working again. I haven't looked again, but I imagine its come off again, so might pop back to the dealer to get them to give it a proper fix.

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had the same happen to me over the weekend and ended up taking mine into the dealers yesterday. The pipe had blown off the nozzles and was nicely covering the engine compartment with washer fluid :rant:

·
Registered
489 Posts
mine failed, took it in, small T-piece connector under the thermal blanket had popped free - 10 second fix
Our Mito had this problem + many other owners with same problem last year. I would have thought they would have changed the design by now! loike you say not a big job to fix tho' Will have to keep an eye on our G although i think it has heated washers so perhaps will not get that problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had exactly the same problem for both front and rear wipers (I really do need to get some better winter fluid...)

I managed to re-attach the front wiper cable and this is now working fine again.

I've also spotted that the problem with the rear one is that the cable has come loose under the bonnet (the cable is loose next to the washer fluid bottle). However, I can't work out where it needs to be re-attached. I don't suppose anyone could let me know where I should be looking (there are lots of 'potential' spots but I don't want to take too many gambles shoving a cable supplying direct jets of washer fluid in to any gap I spot!). The loose cable is black and was found near the neck of the washer fluid container.

Any help *VERY* much appreciated.

John.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just been to the dealer with the same problem on the rear jet. They showed me how to fix it. On the loose end there is a connector, this has a small piece of balck rubber on it. Take this off the beige coloured probe part and push it into the open end of the pipe running to the jets then push the connection together. Apparently they have had a few of these in the cold weather.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fixed mine too!

Last friday I went to the dealer, and specifically asked the mechanic to check whether none of the hose connections had come loose. Reply: "No mate, probably frozen".

... I sent an e-mail to the dealer with a link to this website :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for the info on this post which helped me greatly, as I was busy dismantling the top of the boot lid as I had to do on my 147 where the detachment occurred.

Just to add a little to the explanations for clarity, when connected, the pipes are clipped into two clips at the side edge of the fuse box, next to the bodywork. The rear pipe doesn't look like a water pipe but more like a flexible, ribbed sheathing for cables. Being rigid plastic, it won't stretch like conventional polythene, thus has the rubber insert. This insert gets left behind on the connector when the pipes are detached, so needs to be eased off, inserted into the ribbed pipe and the assembly is then pushed onto the connector.

When reconnected, it felt very easy to pull it off again. It's tempting to whip some strong thread around it to try to keep it in place. I don't think it was frost that detached it in my case, rather the removal of the fuse box lid on a previous occasion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First time poster but regular reader of the forum.

Having the same problem with the screen wash not coming through to the windscreen over the last few days.

Have a 1.6 JTDM Veloce and had it for about 6 weeks. Don't really want to have to take back to the dealer if it is a simple fault than i can easily fix at home, as it's a bit of a drive.

Note it is mentioned that the pipes may have come away from the nozzles but I have looked under the bonnet and i'll be honest i dont have a clue what i'm looking at. Does anybody have an idiots guide as to how to resolve this issue? Pictures would help.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts