Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All

Please bear with me, i know the subject of squeaky wishbones has been discussed and its what led me to the area to check.

i have and intermittent creak from what sounds like the front drivers side.

Having had the car on stands a few times i cant replicate the noise, ive even jacked under the suspension to compress the system.

This morning i split the upper ball joint and pushed, pulled etc on the upper wishbone, now for my question...

Should the upper wishbone move freely or should it move against the resistance of the rubber.

When i push / pull there is resistance and not free movement. it springs back to the start position.

Hope the question makes sense.

thanks

Steve

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
As far as I know there should be some resistance but not loads .if they are really easy then it may be a sign of wear. try and tighten a turn or so and see if it helps.
You can also try using a bit of red rubber grease or some silicon grease to see if you get rid of the squeak.
From what I understand if they are bad, when both wheels are off the floor thump the top of the wheel/tyre and see if you get a small knock from them.If so they probably need doing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds like they are fine to me - the move using the torsional elasticity of the rubber to allow movement, so the rubber will return the wishbone to the start position when you let go, if it isn't connected to anything else.

It's why when you replace any rubber bushes, you should only finally tighten the securing bolts when the weight of the car is on them, or the arm is jacked into the relevant position, so you aren't putting additional stress on the rubber for no reason - no preload in other words

If they move and stop where you put them, somethings wrong.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

Ill move onto looking at the roll bar bushes. Seems to be another source of squeaks.

Steve

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
If it's the upper wishbone it will be dirt and grit down the sides of the bush. You can check it with the help of an assistant working the steering back and forth (this moves the joint). Then feel up in front of the wheel on the forward end of the wishbone and the creaking will vibrate through the arm.

·
Registered
36 Posts
All

Please bear with me, i know the subject of squeaky wishbones has been discussed and its what led me to the area to check.

i have and intermittent creak from what sounds like the front drivers side.

Having had the car on stands a few times i cant replicate the noise, ive even jacked under the suspension to compress the system.

This morning i split the upper ball joint and pushed, pulled etc on the upper wishbone, now for my question...

Should the upper wishbone move freely or should it move against the resistance of the rubber.

When i push / pull there is resistance and not free movement. it springs back to the start position.

Hope the question makes sense.

thanks

Steve
I had a creak this winter on the front drivers side as well. It only occured on bumpy roads and was really annoying.
Took a testdrive with my mechanic and he concluded the wishbones needed replacing. It costed my nearly 800 euros.
The car handled well afterwards but the creak was still there. Called Alfa and asked if they wanted to have a look. Well, since I had not been there for services since 2015, I was welcome in a few weeks time...No, thanx.

Following day, I took the wheel off and removed a tiny pebble of not more than 3mm that got stuck between the tin protection plate and the brake disc.
Just to show that creaks and rattles often sound alarming but may turn out to be minor issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts