Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't a problem until the other day when I upgraded to 17 inch tele dials:)
Tyre size is the reconmmended 225/45/17.
Anyway on a bit of spirited driving tonight I could feel a rubbing noise from the front on hard cornering, as if the tyre was rubbing off the wheel arch lining. Anyway on inspection when I got back, the wheel arch lining is nowhere near the tyre on full lock. However the front springs are sitting about 5 mm above the tyre.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I'd say that's looks normal. There should only be a small gap between tyre & the spring plate on the shock. Don't know if yours is a Ph1 or Ph2? My old Ph1 had rubbing with 17" teledials, I had to 'adjust' the liner.
Might be worth having a look over the whole front suspension to make sure there is no play in there at all.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Is it happening on the front or back wheels?

EDIT: never mind. I just saw that you mentioned the front. Are the bump stops maybe not too short for the 17's?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spring plate is flexing due to rust or fatigue of the steel ?
Hmm, I've got koni sports to go onto the front, might make sense to fit new springs as well.
Theres no record of the shocks being replaced over the last five years anyway, but I know if they were, it was OEM that was fitted

·
Registered
Giulia Super Sprint, GTV V6
638 Posts
Is it a P1? Does it rub while parking with wheels fully turned? If yes, then it's a common problem on P1 cars with 225/45/17 tyres. It seems that the liners are different between P1 and P2.

It's less known that P1 cars had 215/45/17 tyres set as standard. Zender Milanos were the 17" option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts