Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Mito on 26th May with 4700 miles on it -ex demo.
I have now reached 11,000 miles and notice that although the centre of the front tyre treads is still good there is noticeable heavy wear on the outer edges of both front tyres.
My previous Punto GBT with the similar running gear had no such issues and the tyres wore evenly and were good after 21000 miles. I am taking the car to my local trusted Tyre depot today to get the tracking checked.
Any one else here had similar issues?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think this is an issue, or at least anything to worry about.

My MiTO QV has just had its first service at just over 15K miles and my front tyres were worn in exactly the way you have described.

What was scary was how much Alfa wanted for a pair of new ones!!!!

C

·
0 Posts
My front P-Zero Neros were shot after 8400 miles but it was the inner edges on mine.
The toe-in was incorrect so that was sorted when the new tyres were fitted. I've done 14,600 on the replacements and am down to 4mm with even wear across the tyres.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had the tracking checked. Nearside and offside both toeing in which I am told is a common Alfa issue and they normally adjust to parallel. Worryingly the camber angle is out by a degree on the nearside and is non-adjustable. The suggestion is that a pothole may have bent something slightly. I recollect going through a big one about a month ago so that may be the cause. As that is unlikely to be covered under warranty I shall live with it and replace the tyres when needed (approx. £210 for a pair).
I should think I will probably get at least another 4 or 5 thousand miles out of them (another 6 weeks roughly :eek:).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've just had my service and they mentioned that my tyres after 20000 miles were atthe limit on the front, both o/s and n/s side tryes were even worn on the edges down to 1.6 left and right and down to 2 in the middle. this would suggest under preasure, but I've been checkingt the preassure regulary as they allways looked a little low.
I have the 215/45/17 tyres and the book reackons 2.3 is the correct preassure but this would suggest not.
Anyone else had this issue with the 215 width? I noticed in the book that the 205 has a preasure 2.4 for the fronts.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
If your at 1.6 and 2mm I wouldn't even bother checking anything .4 of a mm is nothing over the life of the tyre. I would carry on as you have been doing.

·
Registered
30,018 Posts
As above. 0.4mm is nothing to worry about, but you could try going to 2.4 Bar.
Remembering that it will depend how accurate the pressure gauge you are using is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've just had my service and they mentioned that my tyres after 20000 miles were atthe limit on the front, both o/s and n/s side tryes were even worn on the edges down to 1.6 left and right and down to 2 in the middle. this would suggest under preasure, but I've been checkingt the preassure regulary as they allways looked a little low.
I have the 215/45/17 tyres and the book reackons 2.3 is the correct preassure but this would suggest not.
Anyone else had this issue with the 215 width? I noticed in the book that the 205 has a preasure 2.4 for the fronts.
I have the same tyre size and run the fronts at 2.4 and rear at 2.2. I've had the car from new and covered 25.5 k miles on the original tyres.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi there 1611JP, why did you decide to run yours' at that pressure?
I have the dunlop's, and when I bought the car it was noticed that the tyre's having been on a for court for a year had started to perish. I think that's why they have worn badly as i only do motorway driving and don't have a heavy right foot as cant really afford the petrol for that much fun. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spoke to my garage Friday ( small privately owned Fiat Dealer)and they say they wouldn't worry about the camber issue as it probably isn't that bad when you allow for any inaccuracies in measurement. They suggest putting the backs on the front to see if the problem is still there. Due to my starship mileage I think I'll stick with them as they are and replace the fronts when needed as I've always thought it is better to leave them where they are and change one pair.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My front P-Zero Neros were shot after 8400 miles but it was the inner edges on mine.
The toe-in was incorrect so that was sorted when the new tyres were fitted. I've done 14,600 on the replacements and am down to 4mm with even wear across the tyres.
---
Hi Cobolman,
What were your tyres set to get the inside wear?
Mine were set to 0.4 toe out and I got the same inside tyre wear.
They are now set at 0.0 which has given me even tyre wear.
It makes for constant corrections on the motorway mind - not that I mind.

·
Administrator
86,631 Posts
They suggest putting the backs on the front to see if the problem is still there. Due to my starship mileage I think I'll stick with them as they are and replace the fronts when needed as I've always thought it is better to leave them where they are and change one pair.

You're better of rotating tyres for a number of reasons, one being you can get a full set of matching tyres all round when replacing the four :thumbs:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi there 1611JP, why did you decide to run yours' at that pressure?
I have the dunlop's, and when I bought the car it was noticed that the tyre's having been on a for court for a year had started to perish. I think that's why they have worn badly as i only do motorway driving and don't have a heavy right foot as cant really afford the petrol for that much fun. :)
It was either in the manual or the alfa app i downloaded to my phone from iTunes, I recall there being two different tyre sizes in 17 inch. My wheels are clothed with Pirelli tyres, and I'm really impressed with there low wear rate, most of my driving is either dual carriage ways and motorways.

C

·
0 Posts
---
Hi Cobolman,
What were your tyres set to get the inside wear?
Mine were set to 0.4 toe out and I got the same inside tyre wear.
They are now set at 0.0 which has given me even tyre wear.
It makes for constant corrections on the motorway mind - not that I mind.
I think mine were about 0.5 toe out on one and 0.6 on the other. Like you I'm now at 0.0. Have you found that your mpg has improved?

·
Administrator
86,631 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts