Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, we are changing the front suspension arms and anti roll bar links on my 2003 147 jtd, as its creaking like an old lady!! Can anyone tell me if you need to drop the suspension leg down to replace the top arm, or can it be done in situ?

Many thanks for any advice!

Kath

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Depends which way round the bolt is that passes through the wishbone and mounting bracket, if you're lucky you can get at it by removing the wheel-arch liner, if it's the other way round then the suspension strut has to be lowered.

Have a peek at right-hand (driver's side if in the UK), if the bolt head is to the left and the nut is to the right (behind the suspension strut) you're in luck, simply remove the arch liner, split the ball-joint, undo the nut and slide the bolt out to the left.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
its not a big job dropping the leg......its best way to do it as u can coat everything with silicon grease before putting back together......extra bolt out of the fork on bottom os suspension leg and drop link to undo,then the four on top of inner wing, its worth getting them too just incase u have to cut them off

1 hours from start to finish per side

the silicon grease is important for keeping the water out and prolonging the life of the arms

Gary

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Disconnect the a/r bar drop links (it's easier with both sides)

Remove fork/lower arm bolt.

Split upper wishbone balljoint.

Remove four strut upper mounting nuts but support strut on jack.

Lower strut until it rests on lower arm.

Lift up upper wishbone and mounting and twist/wiggle it up and over the strut mounting bolts.

To replace you will need to slowly jack up strut making sure bolts don't get jammed/stuck in holes, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Best DIY suspension guide

William,

Your description and photos of Suspension DIY - especially the lower wishbones - is the best that I have found on this site and on the Alfa 156 net site. I will use your guide to replace mine. Thank you for sharing your expertise.

Tighthead Ted

·
Registered
139 Posts
Did my upper wishbones earlier today. The first side took me a lot longer than the other one. It was a bit fidly but straigt forward job. Some really good guides in this post. My advice is as soon as you remove the wheel, spray WD40 on to the nuts you are about to remove, and let it do its magic while you are taking the wheel arch linner and going over the instructions again. A torque wrench is essential, and so is a ball joint splitter.
As you will be having a good access on the right hand sife, you may want to waxoyl the oil cooler pipes if you havent done already..just don't get rained on like me :(
The only thing that worries me is a squeeky noise - like metal on rubber or rubber on rubber, from when I lowered the car back and left the suspension take the weight. I pinned it down to the new ball joint of the uper wishbone. I hope it is normal (no sound on he other side). If anybody thinks it's not normal please let me know...I will cry but I would have to tend to it.

Good luck with the task. Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
My advice is as soon as you remove the wheel, spray WD40 on to the nuts you are about to remove, and let it do its magic while you are taking the wheel arch linner and going over the instructions again.
No need to touch the wheel arch liner ...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for all the really helpful advice - what a great place for advice on Alfas!! We will be attempting the job next weekend so I'll let you know how it goes!! Thanks again, happy new year to you all, Kath.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Bit of advice,attempted mine today and job stopped with removing anti roll car drop link. . Got the Allen key and spanner on it but it made no sense at all,nut came off but Allen key struggled to turn. . But . Could not see how removing Allen would help with removal. . Am i just being numb!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Bit of advice,attempted mine today and job stopped with removing anti roll car drop link. . Got the Allen key and spanner on it but it made no sense at all,nut came off but Allen key struggled to turn. . But . Could not see how removing Allen would help with removal. . Am i just being numb!
Getting the nut off is the hard part done. The bolt isn't threaded into the anti-roll bar, it simply passes through a hole. The reason it's difficult to remove once the nut is off is because the anti roll-bar is under slight tension and therefore jamming the bolt in place. You simply need to use a lever to push the anti roll bar the right way (up or down) to remove the tension so the bolt slips out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts