Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have upgraded my front and rear anti-roll bars from standard to Eibach. Obviously to do the front, I had to remove the subframe. Whilst everything was off the car, I also replaced the front track rod ends and front lower suspension arms.

Yes, removing and refitting the subframe did turn out to be a bit of an awkward job, but not impossible without a doubt. I haven't driven the car yet as I am currently waiting from some new discs and pads for the front to arrive.

However, I have just been reading a few posts regarding refitting the front subframe, and the horror stories that come with it about misaligning it, which has kind of bewildered me a bit. Some of the forum uses seem to think that the subframe can be misaligned, while others say it's impossible. Can I get a definate answer to this question, as I am now kind of worried as to whether I have fitted it correctly, and if it can be out of alignment??? I must admit, I didn't use the "locating pins" for refitting, as I have only just read a post about them!

In my own opinion, but please if I am wrong someone please correct me, I cannot see how the subframe can be fitted out of alignment. Everything has been bolted back on square, nothing has stripped any threads and I have also gone round the car with a torque wrench and torqued every nut and bolt that I have removed to the manufacturers correct settings!

Any help greatly appreciated, as I am a little bit concerned about this!

Tony.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...obviously I will be getting the front wheel alignment checked, as I have replaced the track rod ends!

·
Registered
916 Posts
No problems with subframe alignment; if it all bolted up nice and easy, everything's OK. There is vey little scope for movement on the 147 subframe, unlike some fords for example, which require special pins to relocate it properly.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be honest, as I said regarding the "alignment pins", I didn't even know they existed. Surely the subframe on any car should only locate into one place!?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts