Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Can anyone tell me whether it's a fairly straighforward job to change the front struts on a 155 2.0 16v?

I've changed struts on Sud/Sprints in years gone by - is it any more difficult?

Also, any recommendations as to the best place to buy?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Alfashop will be goof for spares, or maybe shop4parts etc

it should be failry simple as long as you can get the top nut off - iv had 2 155s, on both I gave in to the local engineering place who have a bigger windy gun than me :rant:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
AlfaJack said:
it should be failry simple as long as you can get the top nut off - iv had 2 155s, on both I gave in to the local engineering place who have a bigger windy gun than me :rant:
Good point, well made ;)

The top nut, in my experience is best 'cracked' in situe before you take them off BUT YOU MUST leave it tight otherwise they could go bang! :eek:

The job is fairly simple but I also found the bolts connecting it to the hub can be barstewards, best done with a single hex socket to avoid rounding ;)

As for parts try GGb spares in Bradford (they've got a website too, just google it)

Seriously be careful though, these thing scare the beegeebas outta me ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
For cheap front struts try http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/.

£42.56 each + vat.

They are made by Kayaba. I fitted a full set front and rear to my 1.8 16v and they seem fine.

Probably not an upgrade, but at least as good as the Alfa original fit items...

As mentioned previously the top nut is a pain. Definitely slack it off before you remove the strut. I didn't for the first one and regretted it! There is a special alfa tool to stop the shaft turning but not needed if you slack it off while still on the car. To tighten up the nut of the new shock you need to hold the shaft still with an allen key whilst tightening the nut with a deep reach spanner/socket... a bit tricky. If you can find a socket and ratchet which allow centre access for the allen key it will make life a lot easier (B&Q sell a set for about £12)

Mike

·
Registered
260 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

and all this time I was thinking your were talking about the cup/housing that the shock + spring fit into, rather than the shock absorber itself. :eek:

I have KYB shocks fitted to my Alfa with Gmax springs. Good performance for the price. Only really notice heavy depressions of the suspension when eating up a rally style B road at 80+ ;)

KYB shocks btw are fitted to Scoooby doo's as standard, to give you an idea of the perfomance level they are expected to work at.

Hum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.