Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was seeing things, but recently while working I noticed the clearance between the wheel and the bottom of the spring pan differs from L to R on my Spider.
See the pics...I loosened the wheel hub assy. clamping bolts on the one side that I thought might not be seated fully ( I have not been there before) but it appears to be fully home on the bottom of the strut.
Maybe a previous owner has replaced a strut with a slightly different (wrong) part?
...and yes I know my damper rubbers are shot!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The right hand pic looks the most correct. Either the strut is wrong, or bent, or the hub is wrong. It may just be the different angles of the photos, but the left hand pic looks like the spring perch is a different angle?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks Ian - and no that's a result of the angle of my poor phone pic! The narrow gap I can just get my outstretched fingers in, the other is about 1".
I think the strut can only go into the hub one way? (setting the perch angle as you say) so I don't think it can be affected by incorrect assembly.
I wondered if the hub might be incorrect, I see Alphaworkshop require a chassis number to find the correct p/no.

Thanks, Sean

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Replace your dustcovers quick or you will Dampers will fail.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Yeah... looks like the LH one is not original whereas the other one probably is. Your dust covers need changing though, or both dampers will quickly fail. Grit gets onto the damper rod and cuts up the oil seal, allowing the fluid to leak.

It's a dampers and springs off job to fit new ones.. so that may be a good time to fit a pair of new dampers too. Try Kayaba for a reasonable quality/price compromise.

Ralf S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts