Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Could you possibly have a look at the photos as it looks like I have a problem with the front splitter.

I only noticed it when I was waiting in the queue after putting petrol in that I have something 'dangling' from the under side of my car just in front / side of the driver's side wheel. It looks like the section has come away from the clips.

Does anyone know if this is easlily fixable, if so how or would you recommend me contacted my dealer given I have only had it for 3 weeks?

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
hey mate, just to let you know, i had this issue with my fiesta, and it looks like the same thing, if you pull into a parking bay with a kerb opposit (i.e the kerb is beside the bumper) when you reverse off, it can catch and this is what happens, but its not hurrendusly expensive to repair. I reacon alfa being alfa, they would say, youve caught it, and it would be your responability to fix. I personally got a compressed stapler, and just stapled it back in place, or you can get new clips, but it will come off again!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thing is it hasn't been caused by any kerb as in all areas that I have parked / do park, there are no kerbs anywhere near the spaces that I park in.

I find it quite annoying.

In relation to fixing it myself, would it be 'safe' for me to just jack it up as I would if I was changing a tyre?

·
0 Posts
Thing is it hasn't been caused by any kerb as in all areas that I have parked / do park, there are no kerbs anywhere near the spaces that I park in.

I find it quite annoying.

In relation to fixing it myself, would it be 'safe' for me to just jack it up as I would if I was changing a tyre?
Better to use an axle stand too Steevie :) - how far are you from M23 postcode? - I have stands etc?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Better to use an axle stand too Steevie :) - how far are you from M23 postcode? - I have stands etc?
I live in Bolton, but work in Cheadle and regularly pass through / round manchester / M60.

Thing is, I can't really get a good look at it so not sure exactly what is wrong with it from the pictures I took and from what I can see, it purely just looks like the clips need taking out and putting back with the trim attached but can't be too sure

N

·
0 Posts
Hmm back to the infamous and easily ripped off
rubber lip and undertrays of the original 147s? :(:(

·
0 Posts
Your welcome to bring it to mine for a 'look see' mate if you are passing - hopefully it's just a coupla clips :)

PM me for my postcode / mobile if you want :thumbs:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on this for you.

Finally managed to get under my car on Saturday to have a look and the damn rubber strip is stapled into fibreglass. BL***Y STAPLED! and the staples themselves are just straight in to the fibreglass and in no way have had the ends bent slightly to try to keep it attached.

Anyway, after mentioning it to the missus, she hit the roof and now the car is being taken into the garage on Saturday morning to be fixed... along with other issues being the plastic vent on the drivers side near the clutch pedal sticking out and now I no longer have a MiTo but a M To as the 'i' fell off yesterday when I was cleaning it.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I managed to pull mine off on Sat when the car was all of 8 days old by pulling into a car-park space and letting the nose run over a raised curb :tut: I had already twice in the week had it catch the ground on the way up the car-park ramps in the multi-storey at work..I too found its only stapled an and there was no way they were going back in!

Went to Halfords and bought some self tapping and drilling bolts and some washes, drilled a small pilot hole with a mini hand drill bit and with a very short handle cheep socket tool I have bolted it on with 3 on the offending side, I will do the other side another day, just hope this does not mean if I now catch it the rest of the splitter will get wreaked

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I no longer have a MiTo but a M To as the 'i' fell off yesterday when I was cleaning it.
Just take the rest of the letters off, using a hairdryer. It'll look better without the badge anyway! :)

I had several splitter incidents with my 147. The original was stapled too. I intially reattached a new splitter by the same method as 'tony1664, drillling pilot holes and using self tapping screws - it did a fine job.

I must have been through at least three splitters before I decided not to bother putting a new one on. Incidentally, as the rubber is quite soft dont worry about potential future incidents doing damage to your bumper as the splitter will tear/break before the bumper will give up! :)

Yours may not have been attached properly in the first place if you are sure neither you nor the missus has scrubbed anything with it. Therefore let the stealer sort it out. ;)

·
0 Posts
I have to say guys, I would be going ballistic with the dealers if I was in the same position :eek:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to say guys, I would be going ballistic with the dealers if I was in the same position :eek:
Believe me we will be on saturday morning when it goes into the dealer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mito Air Splitter

I had the same problem with my 2011 Mito. The air splitter stapled underneath the car to the front bumper would scrape when driving over the slightest bump. After six months, it was half torn off from the driver's side, and the rubber split to boot. I took it to my Alfa dealer (I'm in Japan), and he said many Mito customers complain about the constant scrapping of the splitter. He suggested to remove it, which is what I did. Still, the Mito has a huge front "over hang," and there's some pretty deep gouge marks under the bumper on the driver's side to prove it. It's my only real issue with the car.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
the 'stapled splitter' has been discussed on here before, someone said that it is stapled on so that if it gets snagged on something it doesn't rip off the bumper from its mountings, a sort of damage limitation, it also acts as a stabiliser at high speeds so removing it isn't a good idea

T

·
0 Posts
Had this issue with a hire car in Italy last summer, I bought a screwdriver and some self tappers, removed staples and stewed through the hole they left. To get underneath just pull one side onto kerb.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts