Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have finally got all the parts in place for my rear suspension overhaul. Slightly dreading taking it on but there we are.
In the meantime I am moving on to acquiring parts for a front end refresh. With the rear shocks/springs, I have gone for KYB shocks and Suplex springs as a reasonable priced and close to OEM solution. I'm not after any lowering or performance upgrade over standard.

For the front shock replacements I need some advice.

I see that OEM shocks can be had for about 170 which is more than I want to part with.
KYB exel-g shocks can be had for around 80
Koni SRT.t shocks can be had for much the same price
Which of these two would be preferable when run with standard springs?
What is the recommended OEM type front spring for a v6? Can't find Suplex springs for the front end now that I have bought them for the rear....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought KYB springs all round (sorry don't have the codes at hand) for my V6. Together with TRW rear shocks, polybush whatever else there is & new bumps stops it's all settled in well. Exactly what I wanted, controlled, compliant and so much more liveable on crappy real world roads yet still keeps things in check when it's time for right foot fun.

I haven't any experience with any of the the front shocks so can't comment or give advice on those. Hopefully others will chime in with info & might know the product code for KYB springs or maybe consider these from Alfaholics ...
Front Spring – 3.0 V6 | Classic Alfa Romeo spare parts and accessories

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
I have the KYB excel g shocks on the front of my T-spark. They are excellent. Definately worth buying. Apparently they are OEM performance but at half the cost of OEM and gas filled (means the ride doesn't deteriorate on long journeys over rough ground) they are definately worth it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Be carefull when looking for front shocks, the later V6 GTV front shocks have a fitting hole for the longer ARB drop link.
I don't think there are as many of these type of shocks on the market.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I bought the front springs from Alfaholics they were Suplex as well. I've been running the Suplex springs with Bilstein B6 dampers - although they were very hard to find. The improvement has been absolutely fantastic. I'm sure you will notice a massive difference refreshing the front.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where from

When I bought the front springs from Alfaholics they were Suplex as well. I've been running the Suplex springs with Bilstein B6 dampers - although they were very hard to find. The improvement has been absolutely fantastic. I'm sure you will notice a massive difference refreshing the front.
Where did you find b6 for the front?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had to get them second hand as a set from Pud237 who had them on his car. While trying to source a set I did speak to the workshop manager at Bilstein, who seemed to suggest that a production run of ~50 might be possible to arrange. When I tried to follow it up though I got no reply. PM me if you are interested in having another go!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts