Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are the bolts holding the alloy bits to the shocks always so tight or do they just corrode into the alloy thus fail to move

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Managed to get my drivers side bolt off the fork reasonably easily today, tho it was tight. Must have been lucky....The forks came of the shock reasonably easily too!!!

Found my strut top mount was pretty destroyed, so car is sat on axle stand until a replacement is delivered. The mounting plate has worn on one side where the shock was touching, so that seems to be the source of the noise I was trying to trace.

Also replaced the thermostat and coolant, so a busy day.....

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
same here the sat on axle stands..

but i had the gearbox out and front suspension removed... got clutch lsd coilovers uprated drop links and antiroll bars polybushed and upper and lower strut braces plus widetracking with spacers.. havent inspected the top mounts yet removed bolts seized thrown on the bench till tomorrow lol

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
lower strut brace means you need longer bolts! if you don't there is not alot of thread holding everything in place.
plus to get it to fit you may have to use a jack to put tension on it to align the holes

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Is there any online resources available that details the bolt sizes? I'm going to be fitting coilovers soon and thought I should get replacement nuts & bolts. Don't really want to use main dealer for all of them. I know some are specials so will be forced to but a lot of them must be standard.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I had to cut mine off when I did the 305 gta upgrade on my diesel. Ordered from alfa. The bolts weren't expensive

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I was lucky with my fork bolts too. I cleaned the area with a wire brush, soaked the bolt in rust off overnight, then went at it carefully with a breaker bar to get it going, then used a windy gun to remove it fully. It had evidently never been off before so I guess some are just luckier than others.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
lower strut brace means you need longer bolts! if you don't there is not alot of thread holding everything in place.
plus to get it to fit you may have to use a jack to put tension on it to align the holes
Will
I find it very odd that people moan about EQ downpipes hanging low ,mine are level with my Aly under tray ,then fit a lower brace which hangs down about 30mm:confused:
I would strongly advise against fitting one ,If you hit anything like a lump in the road at speed you could wreck the front subframe or worse:cry:and I dont think your insurance would pay out.

John

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
This is true John. I am no longer fitting new suspension so lower brace cannot go back on in standard location. I remember before it catching and it is no good. I am looking at possibly experimenting with my own brace that fixes differently. It really does make a noticeable difference which I liked. Just got to finesse a little differently.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Will
I find it very odd that people moan about EQ downpipes hanging low ,mine are level with my Aly under tray.

John
Your car isn't low enough..... :p

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you get the result required?
cut both end of the bolt and drilled a hole in one end.

smashed it with a massive pin punch.. added heat smashed it again using a 4lb club hammer

nothing wondering if this bit is the same across the entire range

will try the 10 ton press and some heat tomorrow..

·
Registered
122 Posts
When I did mine cut both ends of and smashed the hell out of it. Took about 30mins with two of us and a lot of heat. Used an old bolt which was just a bit smaller and hit that.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I did mine cut both ends of and smashed the hell out of it. Took about 30mins with two of us and a lot of heat. Used an old bolt which was just a bit smaller and hit that.
Done the same.. cut of both ends and used heat and a lot of smashing.

Just worried if i do use more heat and eventually it comes loose will the metal be damaged lol

will use heat and ten ton press tomorrow

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
Are you hitting out the way its meant to come out if you'd removed it normally? You can sometimes end up twisting the bracket on the bottom of the shock and just rotating the whole fork around the bottom. If you want to save the shocks you might be better off sacrificing the forks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts