Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Merry Xmas all.

I have what seems like a strange problem with some lights. My front passenger side headlights don't work i.e. all 3 main front lights (indicators are fine), and the driver side rear main light and brake light are also out. I have checked the 2 rear bulbs replacing one (both look fine) and replaced the main headlight but have not checked the other 2 at the front.

First instinct was to check and replace bulbs but after replacing 2 with no joy I assume something more sinister is at work here. I have started looking at the fuse box under the steering wheel and pulled a few I think are relevant to the lights and they look ok.

Not sure wher to start looking here to be honest, and the fact that front and rear lights at different sides are out is confusing.

The rear brake light did play up some months ago and I pulled out the section and checked the bulb by taking it out and it looked ok so I put it back in and it started working again - strange. This is probably relevant but I am not sure why??

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Many thanks, Niel

L

·
0 Posts
check the earth wires at both modules. I wonder could it be body computer related

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

thanks for responding. I checked the rear connections and all 4 (inc. earth) seem fine - will check the front tomorrow.

Have read lots around rev counter diode issue impacting lights - just in case this means anything in this case.

Not sure what you mean about body computer?

L

·
0 Posts
sorry, i thought your car was a 147, ignore the body computer comment.

your issue is most likely the rev counter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah right. is this located in with the fuses under the steering wheel? And, what do I look for and how do I replace - thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
possibly a stupid question before, is this actually located behind the rev counter?? Assume if I dismantle and look at the circuits I should be able to confirm that there is an issue, and either fix the relative IC(s) or just replace the whole rev counter...

L

·
0 Posts
the rev counter is one of the two large dials of the dash, numbered from 1 to 8

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yip, found a link with some pics on how to dismantle. Will have a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Will probably just replace the whole unit rather than attempt any soldering, assuming I can see the issue.

Will it be obvious that there is a problem on the circuitry once I dismantle the rev counter?

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Front parking light and the rear light on the opposite side, eg front left/rear right - are on a common fuse, but the headlamps are on seperate fuses, and aren't monitored by the bulb-check circuit, so I'm not sure that that is going to be your issue - although removing the rev-counter and checking isn't a big job, so maybe worth doing in case you have a number of different issues going on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all,

I removed the rev counter and have had a look at the circuit board and can't see anything amiss. There are loads 0f chips but all look ok. Is there anything specific I should look at - there are 3 small plastic covers and not sure if there is anything I need to look at underneath these?

I will look closer at the fuses too as it sounds like this may be an issue. Should I be looking at the board of 15 fuses - noticed there is also a plastic case with what looks like more fuses inside, kind of hanging in front of the main board of fuses. Any idea the exact location of the fuse rgwm refers to above?

Thanks

L

·
0 Posts
the 3 black? covers are lights for night time illumination.

do you have an owners manual, the fuses are listed in that, around pg 140'sih

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, thanks for all the help...

Lacken156 - yes, 3 black covers. Just dug out the manual and will review, thanks.

Tox1c - just went out and checked the number plate lights (at rear) - don't think there are any at front - and the right hand side light was out. I got my manual out the boot, closed the boot and the light came on. I gave it a bang and it went out, then another and it came back on - is this related?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just checked all fuses and all are ok. checked the front lights and re-seated the earth and bulbs. all looks ok to me but am no expert.

checked the rear lights which are the basic roundish bulbs. One of them does have some movement when it is in place i.e. it is locked in place and if I push down it moves up and down. Will check the other (good) side and compare and have a closer look if need be.

Any thoughts on the significance of the number plate lights - one is dodgy coming on and off if I knock it.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
It's quite common for number plate lights to have dodgy contacts, probably just needs a clean.

I had the problem with a front and rear light out, and that was related to the rev counter issue as described, mine went 2 weeks before end of warranty, changed for free! Only difference seems to be that my number plate lights packed up also, yours seem to have a different problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TOX1C - did you look at the rev counter circuit board yourself - just want to make sure it isn't that. Mine looks ok and assume you saw some damage on yours.

Per Lacken156's last comment - if it was some dodgy contact on one of the bulbs or it's casing e.g. rear light would that have the side effect impact upon the other lights on the front - just trying to understand bit better the overall symptoms

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
If your number plate lights are making bad contacts, then that can certainly cause the bulb warning light to come on, but it wouldn't cause the other lights to go out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts