Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question but I'm gonna ask before I ring mangoletsi.

Should the front passenger seat belt sensor be active? Mine is always lit green no matter what the scenario: seat belt in, seat belt off, seat empty etc. All the other seats show red if seat belt not in so I expect this should do the same.

Cheers

·
Registered
344 Posts
There's a sensor in the seat to tell if a passenger is sat in it - it's green all the time if you have no passenger :)

I think the owner's manual does mention it somewhere - I wondered the same when I test drove one!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a sensor in the seat to tell if a passenger is sat in it - it's green all the time if you have no passenger :)

I think the owner's manual does mention it somewhere - I wondered the same when I test drove one!
Is that just the front passenger seat? All the other seats show red even if nobody is sat in them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah - I think it's because it sounds an alarm if the driver or passenger aren't belted up once the car is going over a certain speed. There's always going to be a driver when the car's in motion, so no need for a sensor in the driver seat. But there may not be a passenger, so it needs to know if there is one present or not so as whether to sound the alarm. And since they have the sensor they use that to indicate green if there's no passenger. For the rear seats they don't bother sounding an alarm, so no need for a sensor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah - I think it's because it sounds an alarm if the driver or passenger aren't belted up once the car is going over a certain speed. There's always going to be a driver when the car's in motion, so no need for a sensor in the driver seat. But there may not be a passenger, so it needs to know if there is one present or not so as whether to sound the alarm. And since they have the sensor they use that to indicate green if there's no passenger. For the rear seats they don't bother sounding an alarm, so no need for a sensor.
The driver seat does have the sensor, always red when I sit in it, goes green when I belt up, this is the same for the 2 rear seats. The front passenger seat is always green even if the belt is not done up.

I'll ring mangoletsi see what they say but I personally think the passenger seat sensor should behave the same way as the others.

Cheers

·
Registered
344 Posts
The driver seat does have the sensor, always red when I sit in it, goes green when I belt up, this is the same for the 2 rear seats. The front passenger seat is always green even if the belt is not done up.

I'll ring mangoletsi see what they say but I personally think the passenger seat sensor should behave the same way as the others.

Cheers
You've misunderstood what I wrote - I'm not talking about sensors to determine if the belts are done up or not - all the belts have those.

What I'm saying is that the front passenger seat also has a sensor to determine if a passenger is present or not, which none of the other seats have.

If the front passenger seat is occupied it should show red under the same conditions as the others (not sure if has a delay in detection, mind you) - have you tried having a passenger (or even yourself) sit in the front passenger seat? :) If you have a passenger sit in the passenger seat and set off then go over 20kmh or over 10kmh for more than 5 seconds you should hear an audible warning.

The manual isn't terribly clear about this passenger seat behaviour:

Passenger
A similar situation arises for the front passenger, except that the
warning lights becomes green and the signal also stops when the
passenger leaves the car. In the event that both front seat belts are
unfastened with the vehicle in motion, a few seconds apart, the
acoustic signal refers to the most recent event, while both warning
lights display a visual signal independently of one another.
"The warning light becomes green and the signal also stops when the passenger leaves the car" - slightly mangled way of it saying the light is green if there's no front passenger, I believe.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
The light for the passenger front seat will stay green till someone sits in the seat then it will turn red till you belt up. Thats how they are meant to work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it's faulty then because it's always green even with an occupant with the belt undone.

I'll book it in.

Thanks for the replies guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts