Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could somebody tell me if the front plinth is the same part as the rear one? For some reason my car doesn't have one. The front plates have been screwed straight into the bumper . I was was hoping to fit my shortened 5 digit plate, but annoyingly have 2 ugly screw holes either side. I have 2 options, i.e. get them filled and painted or cover up with a standard plinth (a plinth being the easiest and probably cheapest option).

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok after doing a search on here for "numberplate" without the space I can see what others have done. I thought the plinth would be bumper coloured as on my brera so maybe a black plastic rectangle might not look so good after all.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
If you have the funds I’d consider filling the holes and respray which will allow you to put a smaller plate/vinyl sticker on instead.

·
Registered
774 Posts
A short plate will look even stranger on the plinth, which you can of course just get painted. Personally I would get the holes filled and likely go down the stick on route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
You can get a shorter Italian size plinth to suit a 5 character plate. This will still show the outer screw holes you have. Even the longer standard plinth results in screw holes in the bumper! I had the plinth removed on my Quad and had it filled/painted at my local body shop. They did a very good job. I now have an adhesive vinyl plate.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
5,049 Posts
I'm sure an educated man like you will already know this.....but stick on vinyl type number plates are not legal on any car registered after 1st September 2001 (and technically it should not pass the MOT either for not meeting specs...but it probably will!)....possible maximum £1000 fine. Yes I know....it would take a very bored cop to care....but I just thought Id mention it for others considering going down the same route.

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
@alfaitalia , I am willing to take that risk knowingly. I have had smaller number plates on motorbikes (not stupidly small) for 2 decades with zero issues with MOT or being stopped. I will put on the normal plate temporarily during MOT if needed. Speeding is illegal as well, how many people follow that law to the letter? ;)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
@alfaitalia , I am willing to take that risk knowingly. I have had smaller number plates on motorbikes (not stupidly small) for 2 decades with zero issues with MOT or being stopped. I will put on the normal plate temporarily during MOT if needed. Speeding is illegal as well, how many people follow that law to the letter? ;)
Anarchy Rules. I like it. :cool:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All food for thought. I'm thinking that filling the holes and no plinth will be best then. When you have a 5 digit reg, the white and yellow on a standard size takes over especially on a dark car. I've already tested the rear without the plinth and I can pretty much cover the indentation.

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Anarchy Rules. I like it. :cool:
If some rules are slightly "flexible" in my head then all rules are flexible within reason. I am anti-hypocrisy. My favourite track of all time...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I now have an image of your car with windows down and that playing loud signifying a vinyl front plate!

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
@VROOM glad to be of some Monday amusement ;) :cool:🤘🤘

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
New regulations on Number plates from 1st Jan 21. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No more EU symbol. Why on earth you can't have a logo of your own design in that space, yet you can have a national flag is bizzare. It's the digits that need to be standard and legible.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
....it's a bit more than that! No more 3d number plates, no more multi layer plates, symbols have to be consistent solid colour, black and white/silver available on 'newer' or should that be less old cars. It's all about making them more legible to ANPR cameras. Thing is because of the updates, it means they might be taking a keener interest in number plates in general.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The amount of blank white and yellow on my 5 digit plates was irritating me so I thought I'd just go for it and fit some short ones.
Unfortunately I was left with 4 exposed screw holes. I had some bumper repair filler and touch up paint so decided to have a go at repairing.
Typically the touch up paint didn't match perfectly but luckily you can't see the patches unless you kneel down close up. Anyhow, it'll do for now as the bumper has the usual road rash anyway. I think it looks much better now.
I also changed the rear.
The daft thing is that I'm probably the only one who would notice the difference!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts