Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I have a slight problem with my front driver side Grill/Mesh. It appears to have a hole in it and has cracked along it aswell. I managed to find a genuine replacement part for £30 which I didn't think was too bad.

However, the problem I now have is fitting it. Manufacturer has said it'll cost them around £130-£150 and I don't really fancy paying this as it's not really a 'major' problem. I would consider doing it myself, but I have never done anything like this before.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do/can be done?

Thanks.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.449775,0.100950

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, so I just got my local independent garage to fix it. I had some other things done also, so can't remember the price, but I can tell you, it was cheaper than that. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Never thought about looking there for damage, i guess all the bits that fly up from cars in front slowly do something like this, does it not just screw on? surly they can't charge that much for that.

On another topic give your car a wash lol

Harry

·
Registered
468 Posts
The front bumper has to be removed to gain access to the clips behind. You could try and use a knife or thin tool to try and prise them from the front without removing the bumper, but i highly doubt it will come out without causing damage.

·
Banned
4,362 Posts
First you need to use a small flat bladed screwdriver and gently prise the chrome trim away from the grille.
It's only slotted in don't panic.
If you feel between the grille around the edges you'll find about 6 clips (If I remember rightly)
Using a long thin screwdriver you need to prise the plastic retainers up/down whilst gently pulling
the grille towards you one clip at a time.
The bugger ones are right in the bottom left and right corners which are hidden behind the
plastic scoops but with a bit of jiggling will come free.
Don't worry if the retainers snap as the grille will still click back in place and be secure :thumbs:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never thought about looking there for damage, i guess all the bits that fly up from cars in front slowly do something like this, does it not just screw on? surly they can't charge that much for that.

On another topic give your car a wash lol

Harry
I know! I hadn't thought about looking there for any damage either. It's only when I walked away from my car and turned around that I noticed it and was like.....wtf?! Haha.

And yea, you're right! It does need a bath! Lol.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.393214,0.031691

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First you need to use a small flat bladed screwdriver and gently prise the chrome trim away from the grille.
If you feel between the grille around the edges you'll find about 6 clips (If I remember rightly)
Using a long thin screwdriver you need to prise the plastic retainers up/down whilst gently pulling
The bugger ones are right in the bottom left and right corners which are hidden behind the
Don't worry if the retainers snap as the grille will still click back in place and be secure :thumbs:
Cheers for the info. Think I'll give it a go. I'll probably give it a go at the weekend and let you know. Thanks.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.393265,0.031713

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to say thanks for your help man! Didn't want to wait until the weekend so done it after work! Haha.

Took me about 30 minutes. It was just a pain trying to get to the 2 clips in the corner like you said.

So, 30 minutes work; and Ancaster were going to charge me £130+! What a joke!

Thanks again.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.449962,0.100547

·
Registered
71 Posts
:lol:i did it with my bare hands recently.. took me an hr..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts