Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front mainseal blew about three weeks ago. The shop fixed it, and I had the timing belt done at the same time. Everything was fine until Saturday when the seal blew again after maybe 500 miles. Exact symptom as before - start the car, and oil flows in volume from behind the main pulley. The shop is now telling me that the crankshaft has jumped out of its bearings, and that I need a new motor. I'm inclined to think that they simply don't want to eat the labor of repeating the repair. I may tow the car to another shop for a second opinion. How plausible is this explanation?
Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me add - if this helps - that the motor runs quietly and smoothly while the oil is splooging onto the ground!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I would say that the crank oil seal has gone , not anything mechanical broken . take it to another garage. but without looking at the car and finding out where the oil is leaking from you cant point the finger to say they have done a bad job.
the head gasket could be repaired and now you have a crank seal blown.

good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think it's all about the crank seal (or front mainseal, from my car training). You can see quite clearly where the oil is coming from when you start the motor. Directly from where the crankshaft exits the motor housing to connect to the main pulley. Sorry if my terminology is a bit lame. I only know what I know from hanging out with motorheads in my youth in Ohio!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I get what you are saying now i thought you had the head gasket changed. If they repaired the crank seal and the engine runs without any noise or problems i would guess the seal was not placed correctly . If the crank has jumped out of place im sure you would know about it .

ask them if you take it to another garage and its found to be an improper repair will they cover the cost or do they want to look at it again . see what they say

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get what you are saying now i thought you had the head gasket changed. If they repaired the crank seal and the engine runs without any noise or problems i would guess the seal was not placed correctly . If the crank has jumped out of place im sure you would know about it .

ask them if you take it to another garage and its found to be an improper repair will they cover the cost or do they want to look at it again . see what they say
I'm guessing that if their explanation turns out to be a lie to get out of fixing a failed repair, then my best bet is to get the car away from them asap, and then go after them later If I decide I have a claim. If I suggest that they are being dishonest, but leave the car with them, then who knows what could happen? Anyway, I'd like to hear any other opinions on whether or not the shop's scenario is plausible. If the car runs smooth, then could the crank really have jumped?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
If the crank jumped then the cam belt would slip teeth and then valves would get bent . it wouldn't run smoothly im fairly sure. The alfa masters will be home from work soon so maybe they can put some light on the matter

good luck

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
What they may mean is that the crankshaft thrust washers have worn, so the crank can "float" sideways under the pressure of the clutch, which pops the seal out.......I had this on a 155 TS some years ago. To check this, get someone to operate the clutch pedal up and down and see whether you can see any movement on the crank pulley. If there is movement it needs the bottom end stripping at least to asess whether it can be sorted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got round to the shop this morning, and it turns out I misunderstood the mechanic. (He's Italian and I'm American, and we only have German in common, so these things happen). Anyway, it's like rgwm said. The shaft it tight concentrically, but can be pushed in and out about 2-1/2mm. I suppose that would be enough to destroy a seal. Now he's going to pull the oil pan and see if the clamps(?) can be replaced.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Hope its fixable....on mine the wear was too great, but hopefully yours will be salvageable.....

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Sorry to hear that........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts