Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
The front lights on the GTV Phase 2 I've recently acquired has a really weak hid kit fitted and the visibility is shocking!
I want to put it back to standard, is it as simple as swapping bulbs or should I fit second hand complete lights?

Cheers,
Sam

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Depends on how the HIDs were fitted. In theory, you should be able to remove the existing bulbs and fit standard HB3 bulbs.

NOTE : Yes, you DO fit HB3s to all 4 lamp positions. Do not try to fit HB4s to the dip beams.

Incidentally, you may want to check your headlight alignment. I have a theory that these cars, possibly owing to the small apertures they shine through, are VERY sensitive to alignment ( the theory is in some part supported by the larger apertures on the phase 3 cars )*. Don't rely on the MOT, they only check you're not blinding oncoming traffic - not that they are optimally aligned.

In the workshop manual ( volume 3, section 55, page 13 ) it details the procedure to follow. You need some level ground with a wall at the end that'll allow you to park 10 metres away from the wall.

* I noticed this myself. I could never understand why everyone criticised the lights on the GTV/Spider. They may not be the best, but they are a magnitude better than, for example, the 156 f/l. Even on standard bulbs. And then suddenly, for some reason my lights were rubbish. I checked everything ( headlamp aimer, motors etc ). In the end I found a wall and did an alignment check. And they were a tiny amount low. After adjusting them, they were good again. I never worked out why they went out of alignment ( sagging springs?, car park impact? ) but they really were a tiny amount out and it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that, I think making sure they are correctly aligned first is a good idea.
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Surely you'd need to remove the ballast that came with the HID kit and go back to the original wiring before refitting original type bulbs?

BTW i'd never heard a bad word about the brightness of a HID kit from a driver before, its usually someone in on coming traffic that complains that they are too bright! Are you sure you bought the right kind of kit?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
use the 4300K bulbs as they are supper white......................... if you have 6000k 8000k or upwards they are just purple and not bright at all

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys, the fitted hid lights actually came with it when I got given the car.
It was a gift and didn't buy it myself, lucky chap that I am.

I'm going to try and adjust the current set up because I agree they are far better than the old halogen jobs.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
use the 4300K bulbs as they are supper white......................... if you have 6000k 8000k or upwards they are just purple and not bright at all
6000k should be white on the kelvin spectrum, and my 6000k ones do seem white. Maybe some manufactures under quote there colour and end up going towards the blue range. 4300k should be slightly warmer and towards to red spectrum.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Also depends if you opt for 55W or 35W kit as that will affect colour too.

I've got 55W 6000k in mine and it looks mint

·
Registered
106 Posts
Was talking to my tame mechanic yesterday and mentioned that I was thinking of upgrading the headlights and he told me to be very careful as the actual headlights are plastic and halogen bulbs may generate too much heat and melt them. Anyone had any experience of problems like this?:confused:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Your tame mechanic has mislead you. The standard headlamp bulb are halogen. 55W is the maximum legal size for these light bulbs and should not give issues.
If you fitted 100W bulbs you would have the potential for issues due to excess heat.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Your tame mechanic has mislead you. The standard headlamp bulb are halogen. 55W is the maximum legal size for these light bulbs and should not give issues.
If you fitted 100W bulbs you would have the potential for issues due to excess heat.
What Krisp said.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts