Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

My 156 1.6TS (98) has started to make noises from the front left suspension area when I drive over small bumps or potholes. I can only describe it as a rubbery 'Squelching' sound.
I'm thinking it must be the upper wishbone, as I understand it's a bit of a problem with older 156's.
With the bonnet up, and 'bouncing' the car up and down the noise definitely comes from the top of the left suspension turret.
Can I just replace the one top wishbone, or would you advise both sides?
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
definately sounds like it needs replacing ,You would be just as well changing both if one needs replacing the other won't be far behind, they're not very expensive parts and you could do them yourself if you have the time and some tools, there are plenty of guides on the fourm also checking out alfa workshop site guides.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marko.
I'll have a look for a guide.
I've seen some wishbones on ebay. Is that a good idea? Or should I go for OEM?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just sprayed some silicon oil on the suspect wishbone joints, and it's quiet (For now) There is still a little 'knocking' when I drive over bumps, and pot holes.
Will is be OK to drive for a while, as I'm in Czech and parts take a little time to get here..

Thanks all for your time.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ive just changed both my upper wishbones this morning and the squeaking and clonking has now gone even though i could detect no play in the old ones but i also changed both anti roll bar drop links at the same time, but these have to come off anyway to change the wishbones, the wishbones were £37 for both of them delivered and the drop links £21 delivered and only took a couple of hours to change all of them

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for you answers.
I think I'll get both OEM upper wishbones, and the drop links, as you suggest, and while I'm there the 'Streetline' kit from Evolution R
It's getting some good reviews from the forum for 200 quid.

Is there anything else I should get before I try and find someone to fit them? As I wont be able to get anything 'Off the shelf' out here (Small town in Czech Rep)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
652 Posts
My experience:

On my 166, replacing the upper wishbones got rid of the squeak/graunch but then showed up a less-bad graunching sound from the lowers (which I didn't bother with replacing).

ARB/droplinks on my GT caused a bloody great clonk (as with loose front suspension bolts). Droplinks are cheap. Rear trailing arms on the GT caused "chatter", not to be confused with the noise from the rear hatch and ski-hatch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts