Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the NS larger front for my GT. Does anybody know how you fit them? Looking at the picture of one I found on eBay it looks like they just push in from the front but being an Alfa it probably involves taking the whole front bumper off..
Picture attached..

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm not certain, but I think the plastic 'pins' protruding on the back of the grille (you can see the lower ones on your image) need a starlock washer to hold on place once located.

·
Registered
759 Posts
When one of mine fell out a while back and I couldn't find the missing starlocks I fixed it back in "temporarily" using plastic ties. That's at least three years ago now and I still didn't get round to sourcing the correct bits, it looks fine and I know it's secure.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to Neal at Italia Autos in one of his YouTube videos he says it's quite a common problem. Sounds like your solution is more robust. Was it fairly simple to attach the grille with the ties?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Oh yes really easy. I just looped a tie through one of the honeycomb segments and fixed it to the inside of the bumper. I can't remember what it was exactly inside the bumper I fixed it to - I'll have a closer look when it's daylight tomorrow for more details. It must have been something easy to feel though - because I never had to take the bumper off.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My single large lower honeycomb grill kept coming out.

I think once removed the clips are never quite the same, I just ended up Gorilla Gluing then clamping it down. Hasn't moved since...

·
Registered
759 Posts
I can see what I did now. With the grille off you'll see three wiring harness guides fixed inside the bumper (for the indicators I suppose), I used only the middle one. The design of these lets you loop a cable tie or something (baling wire or whatever) through it. It's a bit of a juggle but you can then fit the grille back in place (ensuring all the pins locate in the appropriate holes) while at the same time feeding both ends of the captive tie through the appropriate honeycomb, surrounding one of the "bars". Tighten the cable tie and Bob's your uncle.

I did notice that the ties on mine, after a few years of weathering are becoming brittle so replacement was in order anyway.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just noticed that the chrome strip just below the grille is missing as well.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Somebody on here was breaking a GT but they've gone quiet. I've found one at Autolusso for the Blackline. I'm going there shortly so will pick it up (unless they can fit it cheaply). £45.00 for a used one. Not a bad price..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts