Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2005 156, and as many fellow owners will probably know, the dipped beam on the headlamps is less than good!

Now that I've finally got my smashed front fog lamps replaced (thanks roeburndale), is there any way I can set these to on by default when the dipped beam is switched on to get a bit of extra light? Currently if you turn dipped beam off, then back on, the fog lamps revert to switched off.

Cheers
Stu

·
Registered
387 Posts
The cops up here are quite strict about fogs and will pull you up for driving about with them on unless really needed, not sure if its the same near you.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
I uprated mine with Powerbulbs own-brand dipped bulbs and it made a big difference.

Cops are hot down here too ... I used mine on a stormy night on a very quiet lane to pick out the branches and rubbish being blown down. I pulled out onto the main road at the end and there they were ... and I got stopped. When I explained why, they let me off luckily but warned me not to do it again! They are also pulling "chav-mobiles" for nothing more than having fogs on .. but then checking the cars thoroughly .. and adding £60 for irregular plates, etc!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not talking about having them on permanently. More a case of the relay that controls them remembering which state it was in last time the headlights we on. IE, if the fogs were on last time the dipped beams were on, then the next time you turn on headlamps, the fogs come on to. Same case if they were left off.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Unfortunately it all reset but the pooter as it shuts all the switches down when you leave the car.

C

·
0 Posts
Please don't be an idiot and do this. Have a look at Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply and in particular this bit:

"In clear conditions, more foreground light is not a good thing, it's a bad thing. Some foreground light is necessary so you can use your peripheral vision to see where you are relative to the road edges, the lane markings and that pothole 10 feet in front of your left wheels. But foreground light is far less safety-critical than light cast well down the road into the distance, because at any significant speed (much above 30 mph), what's in the foreground is too close for you to do much about. If you increase the foreground light, your pupils react to the bright, wide pool of light by constricting, which in turn substantially reduces your distance vision—especially since there's no increase in down-the-road distance light to go along with the increased foreground light. It's insidious, because high levels of foreground light give the illusion, the subjective impression, of comfort and security and "good lighting"."

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well you can all rest easy now as I'll now be trialling (and keeping) some full LED dipped beam headlamps (Yes, they have full ECE approval) that the company I work for has recently designed & developed. They're virtually a direct replacement for the standard halogen fogs in there at present. The same lamp also has the optics and LEDs for front fog/driving lamp so I won't lose that function (when required) either :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts