Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,
I remember reading a couple of postings on this site regarding front end wander on the 155 under hard acceleration. (not torque steer, as the direction varies as the wheels ride the road surface).
I also remember that the reason for this was wear in a certain front suspension bush...but I can't remember which! :confused: FYI, my V6 has had new wishbones about 5K miles ago, and its never been involved in any front end smacks.
Can someone refresh my bad memory? :)

Thanks.
Mark.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Mark

the only wandering I'm aware of apart from torque steer is when braking, caused by the wishbones.

As you know torque steer pulls the steering wheel but I've found the tyres width can also cause the car to follow undulations under such accelleration. The condition of roads in Derbyshire is attrocious and you get used to the effect but can get caught out ocassionally eek!

Don't know if this helps at all!!!

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Wrinx,
The roads are the same around here in North/West Yorkshire too. As for the wheels/tyres I'm running the standard 15" speedlines with 195/55 tyres. They're not a matching pair (brands) up front, do you thing this will aggrivate the prob?

Cheers/Mark.
:( exhaust just snapped in two on way home this eve...good excuse to get a performance system now I think! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mark

The non-matched tyres will make a difference an in my experience are not a good idea, in fact I'd go as far as say they are dangerous. I alway replace with matched pairs for each side and all four the same unless its for a good reason.

Dennis had non matched front tyres when I bought him and they were scary. Can you swap the fronts and rears to get a matching set just to see if its any different? I would suggest new tyres though!

I ran 205/50/15's on the twinny and now 205/45/16's on the V6, both experienced accelleration wander over the lousy roads. worst is those damned tarmac strips left by cable layers!!!

Your tracking isnt out is it? Seems most 155 (and other cars) pull slightly to the left due to the road camber but might be worth gettin yours checked.

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
The wide Carlos Fandango tyres on my car is what causes my car to wander on crap roads when accelerating and braking hard.

Wrinx is right....and remember....he IS AN ALFA TECH GOD !!!!

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys :) ,
Looking like its a trip to the Tyre and Exhaust centre, not Kwik-Fit :mad: , or Apples :mad: or any other of those numpties...we've got a top place in Shipley Called Drive-in Tyres,Exhausts & Cats - proper mechanics not just fitters, and good prices too!....which brings me to another matter. Once took my Dedra to a local Kwik-Fit (desperate), for an oil change and front wheel balance, and they tried to tell me that all four shockers needed replacing (i'd replaced the original with Koni's 4 months before), and that my cat was on its way out (just passed MOT emmissions 2 weeks before)...guess they hadn't reached their target that week....ended up having a full blown arguement in the fitting bay with this monkey of a fitter! :mad: ...anyone else come across this or is it just me?
Upshot is I wouldn't trust a Kwik-Fit :mad: in the land with my 155.

All The Best
Mark. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Mark

Kwik fit hahahahahahaha........kwik fart!!!

Sorry, I wouldn't ever go near any of the drive in fitter type places they are all the same. KF reputation has been in a shadow for a long time for exactly what you experienced.

Best bet is to find a garage (as you have) that you can trust and get friendly with them.

A WORD OF WARNING!!!!!
Watch were garages jack the 155. the jacking points are not very good. I always insist on a 4 post lift or take a small 2 ton trolley jack. DO NOT let them use a large jack on your car as it will damage the underside. Make sure they don't try and use the floorpan as a jacking point, my floor was damaged by a cowboy. Looked like a small hill in the passenger footwell after they had finished!!!! Ended up taking them to the small claims court to get it sorted.

wrinx

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
Just a point of interest Mark I went to an independant Tyre or garage and they were selling Marangoni`s a tyre you or I had not heard of before fitted at £70a piece well on all fours they really are the biz-15inch on 45`s the V6 handles well! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Pat

Marangoni's have been the favourite tyre of autoitalia mag for a while now, you running on 15 inch with 45's?? I thought it should be fitted with 50 or 55's. 45's are for 16 inch wheels. :confused: :confused:

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Pat likes to feel every bump and pothole on the farm track up to his house !!!

Smaller wheels/tyres give better accelaration, so I'm told.

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Wrinx's car is red and black stripes (trim on bumper and rear spoiler) like Dennis the Menace's jumper. And Wrinx says his V6 is menacing......blah blah....

wink

Marlon

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Hey wrinx,
EXACTLY the same problem with a tyre fitter on my car - a minor hill in the footwell. I pointed this out to the fitters and they paid for the local Alfa garage to sort it - £250!.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, cost about £250 for mine too, they have to cut the old strengthening bit out and weld a new one in then underseal etc. Had to take the B*****s to court as they refused to pay after agreeing for it to be done. Never got me money back :mad: :mad:

wrinx

·
Registered
257 Posts
Is there a reletively simple way to check if your front or rear wishbones need replacing? Is there something a little more technical than seeing if the car wanders or pulls during acceleration or braking?

Cheers,
A

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
yep MOT style, turn the steering in full lock and get somebody to rock/bang the steering against its full lock while you look at the wishbone bushes they will move a bit especialy if you have power steering but excessive movement should be obvious also look at the ball joints in the same way they shouldnt jump or move up and down at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts