Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1.6L, 145, there is a vertical front-end vibration at about 110kph. The front tyres are new and balanced. When this vibration occurs, the steering is rock solid, no shaking. Could this be a universal joint (or both) that has worn? I cannot think of much else that could cause this. Any member suffered the same thing? Any advice welcomed.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I've had the same but not on an Alfa.
The inner UJs produce this vibration which is bad at a particular speed.
Figuring out which side of the gearbox it is might be a challenge.
On other cars I've looked for a split rubber boot around the UJ which is often the cause of the failure.
The outer UJs are much easier to diagnose as you just need to steer round a corner to hear them graunching.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Wheels on car Dynamic Balance? If so,ok-- Geometry ? Camber/Castor/KPI. Chassis alignment? Drop test,failing contemporary laser checking facilities. Drive shafts, tried the old hose clip opposition method? Rear wheels/tyres fitted on front.Worn oscillation dampers/suspension/steering/ mountings/joints? Tyres may still be suspect, in spite of being new. Few more ideas out there Guys, to put this old Foggie in his place?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
.....or the combination of CV joints and engine mountings......
On high mileage cars I sometimes think I can detect powertrain oscillation driven by driveshaft rotation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts