Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - after hitting a large pothole on the M6 last week, my car has developed what I can only describe as a "twanging" noise from the front end. I have read previous threads regarding knocking noises and bangs from the front end, but my symptoms don't exactly fit.

The car seems to drive normally - no pulling to the left or right. It seems to be sitting on its springs evenly - same gap between the wheel arch and the tyre. The tyres still seem to be wearing evenly - doesn't look like the tracking is out. I have checked the running gear and there seems no obvious signs of damage in any of the steering linkages. I've checked the top mounts and they look fine. There's no difference in the gear change - so there doesn't seem to be a problem with the transmission.

The noise only seems to happen when manoeuvring slowly particularly in reverse. No noises whatever at speed or straight line driving.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
389 Posts
When the top mounts went on mine there was a twang sound at a quarter turn of the steering when stationary or moving slowly. When they go they seem to have different symptoms as others have had different noises which have also been the top mounts.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the garage has inspected my car and can't find anything out of adjustment or broken, so prime suspect is: top mounts. Are there any recommendations for makes? Sounds like the OEM ones aren't much cop - car has covered less than 25k miles.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing? Silence?

Oh well - Been quoted £320 for replacement of both. Oh man......!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I dont think its a component problem but a general design fault as water can get to them so a better brand isnt going to help.

£320 seems expensive as I would have thought an hour a side and the mounts are only £35 from GSF. But it might take longer as Ive not done them myself.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had some new top mount bearings fitted - these were £80 each so not sure where they came from. I have an aftermarket warranty which paid for all of it except the diagnostic process. Quite pleased in one respect - all in all reasonable result.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there any post installation maintenance I need to do to protect my new top end mount bearings? I don't want to fork over another shed load of cash in another 4 years time!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've read the posts that try to prevent water from entering the bearing from the top, but the problem seems to be water entering from below (from wheel throw off or jet washing) and getting into the bearing....? No...?

·
Registered
98 Posts
My MiTo has started with the "twanging" sound as wheel is turned side to side. 3yrs old & 29,000 on the clock. Guess its time to get em sorted. Bloomin Lancashire/south Cumbria roads.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Funny how this has appeared to rear its ugly head again, mine is just coming up for its 3rd b'day and mine have gone. having it looked at under warranty with a paint job on the rear arches.

·
Registered
34 Posts
defo good timing i feel, but i did have my wheels re aligned the same week the problem appeared. Now whether it had anything to do with that i dont know, but I'm grateful it did. Plus Alfa are quite keen to get me in a series 2 so I think i might have to worry about the problem anyway.

·
Registered
98 Posts
haha, like how the dealer is pushing the series 2 :lol:
I'm happy with my veloce, the TCT box is great, just wearing brakes out quickly due to flooded roads and now the top shock mounts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have exactly the same Shoei and have looke on Alfa UK to see what Ican get for may money this time around and there doesnt seem to be a spec for the TCT this time online, but according to the dealer there are going to put the tct from the 4c in the car when they start producing it. Should make fore better gearbox i suspect.

·
Registered
98 Posts
just had mine replaced at a local garage. I bought the new ones & they fitted them. £140 all in, so can't complain.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts