Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Front end suspension chatter???

Tags
chatter end
864 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  GaryN 
#1 ·
Hi gents,

I have been experiancing some suspension noise from the front offside suspension area of the 156 SW.

The noise is sort of a chatter/flutter and mostly occurs at around town speeds when the car is travelling in a straight line. I does not make any difference if I am on or off the throttle or brakes. The noise does not seem to be present if the front offside suspension is loaded up or when the car is travelling at higher speeds. with the drivers window open the noise is not really heard outside the car but it is quite obvious on the inside.

My initial thought was front ARB drop links so I dropped it into my local garage today for them to give it a look over. The only things that they found to be an issue was the front offside track rod end had slight play and a broken exhaust hanger. They said that obviously both of these things need attending to but thought that these things would not make the noise that can be heard.

I left the car at the garage and collected it this evening and it was not a surprise that the chattering noise was still present.

I will be dropping the car back with them tomorrow to let them have another look at it, I am now wondering if it could be a worn shock.

Do you guys have any thoughts as to what could be the possible culprit?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gary.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wish bones squeak and creak.
ARB knocks and is felt in the floor (not easy to diagnose on a ramp).

Surprised nothing was found in the garage if they had a proper look.

Is the chatter/flutter caused by bumps in the road or wheel speed?
Does depressing the clutch influence the noise?

#3 ·
Thanks for the comments.

The chatter/flutter is felt through the floor, that is why I suspected ARB drop links. Garage says ARB bushes and drop links were okay.

The noise is present with clutch in or out.

I would say that the noise is noticed more due to bumps in the road at low speeds (20-30mph).

Thanks,

Gary.

#4 ·
It will be the arms.

Upper arms is a sort of clattering that happens over bumps and in corners. Seems to be coming from somewhere above your feet.
Lower arms - less on the bumps, you can generally hear a clunk as you brake to a halt.
Drop links - just constant tapping, no sensation other than the noise

#6 ·
Hi gents,

Thanks for your input.

Hopefully the problem will not be ARB bushes or lower arms as these were related last year, my money is still on the ARB drop links.

I am dropping it back off with the garage today so hopefully they will have a bit more time to give it a good look over.

Thanks,

Gary.

#8 ·
Well, I picked the car up a little while ago and unfortunately the sound has not been identified.

If the weather is kind over the weekend then I will have a go at disconnecting the ARB drop links, access is pretty good so it does not look too tricky.

#10 ·
New front ARB drop links are on, I thought that I might as well do both sides while I was crawling around on the drive.

The lower ball joint on the drivers side had quite a bit of play in it, it was very noticeable once removed from the car.

Can't go for a test drive as yet as i am waiting for a visitor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.