1 - 20 of 30 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right guys your starter for ten.
1/ Front end of the car is all over the place, follows any road irregularity
2/ Lots of noise from the front right suspension
3/ Under braking very unpredictable, will pull both to the left and right.
4/ At slow speed steering falls into the corner.
5/ Traction abismal.
6/ ABS clicked in while reversing at about 10mph.
7/ Both lower wishbone and anti roll bar bushes replaced 10000miles ago.
8/ Handles better around right hand corners.

I know someone out there will know.

Barry

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked the track rod ends?

When mine were worn I had similar problems as yourself. However, I did find that when I went round a long curve at a constant speed (m42 on to M5 North bound slip road) a little extra steering input would produce an excesive amount of cornering, ie the steering of the car was not constant throughout it's range. This did only present itself at "high" speeds. Not something I can recommend you try.

Hope this has helped.

Ian.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barry, you just described how my car feels some times. On a rough road it's a bit like playing scalectrix, the steering likes to follow the grooves in the road :D It also weaves a little under heavy braking. My mech checked the shocks out last week and said they were fine though. He adjusted the tracking a tiny amount, which helped, but I'd also like to know the answer to this one. Maybe I'll get him to look at the ball joints when it goes in on Monday.

I don't want to just replace stuff until it's fixed, and I can live with it for now as it's not too bad. If you figure out what's wrong with yours, please let me know :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BW
Yes, that my car to a tee. Although I must say when viewed from the front she does lean to one side (drivers).
I have a couple of days off next week so I shall pull the front end to pieces, will report back then.
Barry

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Did you replace the wishbone bushes only, or the whole wishbone? One of the problems cited with the Powerflex bushes is that even though you've sorted the one end, the ball joints at the other are probably nearing the end of their life...

Something else to check (and much cheaper to sort) is your tyre pressures (low pressure will cause your car to 'track' more) the tyres themselves, and have the wheel alignment checked also.

Keep us posted!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bw, what size tyres do you have? Wide, low profile tyres will tend to 'tramline' (i.e. follow road imperfections) and this can be more noticeable under braking. This is perfectly normal.

Try driving on a smooth road (if you can find one....) and brake hard, steering a slight zig-zag. If the car responds normally then it's just your tyres causing the effect on rough roads. If it feels 'loose' or unpredictable then there's some play somewhere.

Ian

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Richward
The complete wishbone along with the anti roll bar bushes were replaced.
Tyre pressures are checked every week 2.5bar front and 2.3bar rear
Both front tyre are fairly new (3000miles)
Ian
My tyre size is 205/50/15 Michelins.
In fact I'm just about to go outside and dismantle the front end, will report back later.
Barry

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My tyres are the standard super size - 195/55/15, but they are cheapo ones which might explain it. When they're worn out I'm going to fit P7000's or similar and see if that makes any difference. I might go for 205/50/15 aswell and have lowering springs put on at the same time - then stand back and wait to see if the g/f notices I've started modifying the car eek!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a problem like what you describe when braking hard and found it to be slight uneveness on the discs, it was hard to detect and you couldnt see anything either. Also when I put my new alloys on I noticed the wondering about the place and found it to be the wishbones and n/s ball joint, I know you said that you have had them done but for what is worth when I had mine done I also had the drop links done (whatever they are).

I would also agree with Wrinx about the shockers especially as you describe a leaning to one side.

Marcus

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bw, if your g/f is anything like mine you should get away with lowering the car easily. I think I could re-spray mine a different colour and she still wouldn't notice :)

BTW I meant re-spray the car, not re-spray the g/f :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First report
I have just checked the car and drivers side rear wishbone bolts needed tightening, now no play.
Passenger side track rod end knackered, just ordered replacement from Desira Hayes £58 +VAT not in stock but will be in tomorrow.
I think shocks might be knacked as well.
Barry

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HOW MUCH....you did say track rod end didnt you................there only £22+vat.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eek!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Apparently because it's an early model the track rod end is more expensive.
Barry

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Barry
A short while after having the one track rod end done the other needed to be replaced. Just something to keep an eye on!

Ian.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh well I've bought and fitted it now, just need to get the tracking adjusted tomorrow.
Even my parts CD give a price of £52.18 +VAT, I wonder whether we are talk about the same item?
Barry

1 - 20 of 30 Posts