Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 'unusual' knocking from the front end, sounds like drivers front wheel area mostly.
It's a strange sound, like a metallic knocking. Almost like an undertray rattle (it's not that!).

Had the car up on a ramp yesterday to check over, didn't find anything too major just a number of small issues but didn't solve it:
-Sub-frame bolts slightly loose
-tiny bit of play in offside upper suspension arm (powerflex bushes), but nothing bad
-rear transverse arm bolt found slackened right off!
-bit of play in track rod ends - will be changed next week
-play in front drop links - fitted Meyle ones today - noise still there
-Wheel bearings have no play
-ARB (Eibach) bushes 'look' ok and mounting bolts tight

The knock is not necessarily when you hit a bump, but more when driving along an uneven road at 20-30mph. Sounds as though something's about to drop off so was very surprised we didn't find something obvious!

Any suggestions to what it could be?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a similar noise turned out to be a drop link bit as you say youve changed them.
Yeh have had drop links fail plenty of times but it's a different kind of noise to that. Changed them anyway as there was play in them but hasn't made a difference.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Will have to re-check that one, just remember one side the end had a bit of play.
Is that likely to cause a knock?
Have not had the problem myself but I think the track rod connects to the rack by a sort of ball joint which can wear and have some play. I think it can give a knocking noise over rough ground but you might also feel it as a slight knock in the steering particularly if very slight turning on the wheel. I think it is not unheard of for this item to fail in these cars.
Lower arm balljoint ok? Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
As we know this could be one of so many things.....but a metallic knock that I was certain was suspension related turned out to be the engine steady bar...the bolt into the alloy casing on the engine had come very slightly lose. A few degrees of tightening sorted it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had another look at this today, I think the issue is the lower O/S suspension arm. Not the ball joint, but the part where the shock fork bolts into, seems to be knocking from there.
Applying force to the top part of the drop link I can create a knock on the o/s whereas doing the same on the N/S is silent.
Will get the lower arm changed later this week along with new Meyle track rod ends and new genuine lower engine mounts.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
If your GTA hasn't had any engine mounts since the 3.8 conversion, I would replace them as a matter of course. I reckon you'll see a big difference on them alone.

Would be worth your while putting in some new bottom arm bolts too.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your GTA hasn't had any engine mounts since the 3.8 conversion, I would replace them as a matter of course. I reckon you'll see a big difference on them alone.

Would be worth your while putting in some new bottom arm bolts too.
Yeah going to replace the lower engine mounts, getting a little clunk when selecting 1st/reverse etc. Think 1 was replaced a few years back looking at receipts but certainly wont do any harm.
Will try get hold of a bolt set for the lower arm too.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right I have had new lower arm fitted, and the noise is still there.
2 X new lower engine mounts, noise is still there.
New track rod ends, noise is still there!
To be fair all the above parts we're worn, so needed replacing in the near future anyway.

This afternoon I've had amother look myself, and I am now suspecting the top mount! If I grab the shock and shake, there's a knocking, whereas the passenger side is quite solid and silent. I've tightened the top nut up as much as possible but hasn't really made any difference. The lower bolt into the fork is tight.

Have a look at this 5 sec video and let me know if my suspicion makes sense....
http://youtu.be/LP8z1DE99dI

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
That doesn't sound right to me. Strut out time, I think you should strip down the strut and see how the shock feels without the spring on it.

What does it look like if someone shakes the strut while you have a look at the top nut? Does it move?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I left a ratchet on the top but and shook the strut, the ratchet shakes about. More so than the near side.
It's the knock that gets me. I'm planning on swapping the front springs for longer (250mm) ones so will no doubt be doing that sooner than later!
Spoke to KW last week and asked about servicing the units, and they say these ones can't be serviced ��

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Do you have the front springs already? I have some in stock, brand new from Eibach if you need some.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No not yet, was going to buy from KW as I need the front plastic dust covers too as they're both broken on mine.
Not sure whether to get springs now tho before removing the shock to check it, in case some ****s got past the seals and the shocks are knackered. Could end up having to buy new coil overs then as apparently the bits are not available to service mine ��

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the shock is knackered! Removed from the car and can move by hand and get a knocking from inside the body :(

Not very impressed, 5 years/35k miles lifespan.
To be fair when I picked the car up I had to lift the front end as it was so low that going over any bumps in the road the car was making a hell of a bang from the wheel arch, which I'm guessing was the bump stop, perhaps this has contributed to the early death?

According to KW the units cant be rebuilt either, "my dampers have an inserted cartridge which is no longer available, the newer kits have been changed to a 'wet build' to get over this."

Added to the head gasket issue, things are started to get very expensive!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Well the shock is knackered! Removed from the car and can move by hand and get a knocking from inside the body :(

To be fair when I picked the car up I had to lift the front end as it was so low that going over any bumps in the road the car was making a hell of a bang from the wheel arch, which I'm guessing was the bump stop, perhaps this has contributed to the early death?

According to KW the units cant be rebuilt either, "my dampers have an inserted cartridge which is no longer available, the newer kits have been changed to a 'wet build' to get over this."

This coming from a Noble owner.....says much about the costs involved keeping a 147/156/GT V6 running at optimum. In many ways it's hard to get your head around why they cost so much to keep running, they are hardly super cars lets be honest. I expect many other cars of the same vintage with similar performance are just as bad though?

Hope you get things sorted out with time.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This coming from a Noble owner.....says much about the costs involved keeping a 147/156/GT V6 running at optimum. In many ways it's hard to get your head around why they cost so much to keep running, they are hardly super cars lets be honest. I expect many other cars of the same vintage with similar performance are just as bad though?

Hope you get things sorted out with time.
To be honest the GTA probably costs about the same to run as the Noble does! Before I started modifying the Noble and using it on track I'd say it was cheaper to run that any of the 3 Busso's I've had.
It does make me think sometimes, as like you say, its hardly a supercar. It's not even a fast hatch by todays standards! Seem to be having far too many days where I think about selling up recently.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

That is disappointing alright. Will you be able to replace the 2 fronts or will you have to buy a whole set?
What happened your head gasket?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is disappointing alright. Will you be able to replace the 2 fronts or will you have to buy a whole set?
What happened your head gasket?
I'm waiting to hear back from KW, but i'm hoping they will sell me just the 2 fronts(at a reasonable price), don't even want the springs, just the shocks themselves.

Head gasket is slowly failing. Looks like no.5 cylinder.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts