Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I live in Australia and recently hit a wombat at speed. Hitting a wombat is like hitting a rock, a 30kg rock! I have done a fair bit of damage to my 2003 3.2 V6 GTV including a bent radiator, condenser and radiator frame.

Im aiming to source the parts first before I dismantle the front end, as I would like to run the car once a week to keep it ticking over. As I havent pulled it apart, Im having difficulty understanding on whether the front end on the attached photo is bolted or welded to the chassis/main structure, in particular the aluminium sections behind and below the crash bar.

Does anybody know or have photos showing this area in more detail?

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. This is looking like a fairly major job, something I have not done before and probably best left to a professional.

As all the damage is low down and restricted to the lower radiator support and that part of the structure on the driver side, Im thinking I might try and get someone to rig up a jig to try and straighten the bent bit. Im not bothered if it doesnt look perfect as it wont be seen.

What do you reckon?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Not a hard fix in the slightest.

The bent bits at the bottom simply hold the radiator lower support on. Bend them back with a big pair of pipe grips, it doesn’t have to be accurate or pretty. You probably need a new rad support across the bottom - easy 4 bolt job.

Biggest problem is the ac condenser - which is not available anywhere.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks.

I have sourced a condenser from a wreck near Sydney. Our cars here are in a lot better condition than that in the UK as we dont have much rain and we dont salt the roads. Mine still looks brand new underneath and all nuts/bolts come out like butter as they are not corroded!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts