Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alfa 159 noisy front knock. Not unusual as Alfa seem to use cheese as a major component in their bushing :lol:

I am trying to work out whether it is ARB bushes or upper wishbone. I think the drop links look good.

A couple of videos showing what I think is excessive lateral movement of the upper wishbone.
Am I right? Does this look like it could be the culprit?

On one video you can hear a crunching, I never noted that when doing it. Maybe the large bar I had to lever the arm from side to side or maybe what is also causing the creak.

When over a speed bump it groans, just as my GT did but over a pot hole (for example) it is more of a rapid knocking depending on how big the road crater is. It is the latter that makes me thing ARB bushes.

Last of all, if it is the ARB bushes, is the replacement like the GT whereby the ARB goes into the front sub-frame or chassis?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Alfa 159 noisy front knock. Not unusual as Alfa seem to use cheese as a major component in their bushing :lol:

I am trying to work out whether it is ARB bushes or upper wishbone. I think the drop links look good.

A couple of videos showing what I think is excessive lateral movement of the upper wishbone.

Am I right? Does this look like it could be the culprit?

On one video you can hear a crunching, I never noted that when doing it. Maybe the large bar I had to lever the arm from side to side or maybe what is also causing the creak.

http://youtu.be/0E17eQbeZGg

http://youtu.be/bwnuWTfrz9g

When over a speed bump it groans, just as my GT did but over a pot hole (for example) it is more of a rapid knocking depending on how big the road crater is. It is the latter that makes me thing ARB bushes.

Last of all, if it is the ARB bushes, is the replacement like the GT whereby the ARB goes into the front sub-frame or chassis?

Yeah you have the same as I did. I replaced the whole top arm but you can do just the bushes. Don't buy the cheap ones, stick with TRW top arms the cheap ones tend to squeak as well.

·
Registered
13,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah you have the same as I did. I replaced the whole top arm but you can do just the bushes. Don't buy the cheap ones, stick with TRW top arms the cheap ones tend to squeak as well.
Excellent, I was going to change it anyway but was more concerned the ARB bushes might have worn too.
I'm not sure whether I'll just change the whole top arm as I'm not 100% the ball joint is not worn.
It all depends on what happens at the weekend as I'm looking at something else and a P/X might be an option.

Thankyou for the reply.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Excellent, I was going to change it anyway but was more concerned the ARB bushes might have worn too.
I'm not sure whether I'll just change the whole top arm as I'm not 100% the ball joint is not worn.
It all depends on what happens at the weekend as I'm looking at something else and a P/X might be an option.

Thankyou for the reply.
Soooo whats on the back burner Malc?

·
Registered
13,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Soooo whats on the back burner Malc?
2.2 JTS Brera. Same age (35k less on the clock) more money :-/. I just fancy a change so thought I'd take a peep at a local(ish) car.
Thing is it has a corroded front and rear subframe advisory along with an only just efficent handbrake. Pretty much the same advisories I have on mine from the last MOT. I have done a bit of cleaning and painting on my subframe (only the front was advised with mine).
I was hoping for something with less hassle. Still I'm tired of diesel engines (though the 5 pot is good one) and have always liked the Brera with it's panoramic roof.

Hopefully the A/C will work on it though it's impossible to tell really. With mine I can gas it and it works great for about 3 - 4 weeks.

Next year I intend to do a proper car change brought on by me having had enough with three old bangers that I currently own and have for sometime. However good the 2.0 Giulia or Veloce look (my intention) I then start looking at what I could have for similar money and a bit older :lol:

I'll go see this weekend and if it is any good I'll make a decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts