Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Alfa has been sluggish for the last moth or so, so I took it to the main dealer who suggested replacing the cam belt and variator at a cost of £579. The made no difference, but they now say an Alfa expert says the 2 front cats are blocked and need replacing.
I've been quoted £1000 for this work, but looking on the internet, cats (not Alfa branded) seen to cost around £150 each.
My questions are, am I being ripped of at £1000, and are non branded ones OK? I'm not a serious petrol head (as you can probably tell, so as long as it runs properly, I'm happy).

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Try here.

Not seen the front Cats on a 120bhp for as low as £150 though.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Am I missing something (I probably am) as this means £610 to fit them!!
Both front Cats are a single part including the downpipe.

You don't multiply by two...!
It doesn't help that the pics are missing.

If you could see the pics it would be easier to understand.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6 24v Catalytic Converter
Item number: 160255052722
try this out on ebay im getting one soon but email him with chassy number and he'll chek if it will fit

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a nightmare. Phoned Longlife who say £189 for a standard and £289 for a sports cat including fitting.
Called Dutton Forshaw back, who say as the parts been delivered, Alfa charge 20% to return the part, so now I'm, paying £189 to send it back.
Still, even if I go for the sports cat, thats less than half the price.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Did you actually give DF the go-ahead for the work?
If not, you owe them nothing.

It also sounds like DF are charging well over the top for the part, unless there has been a sudden increase in the list price of the OEM Euro3 front pipes. Which is unlikely because the non-OEM parts haven't gone up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm afraid I told them to go ahead. Luckily the part arrived, but they wern't due to start fitting it until tomorrow.
I'm going to ask to see the price of it on a parts list before I part with the £189 return charge.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Do you have the p/n for the part ordered?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple of my mates phoned a couple of dealerships asking if they can provide the part. They said they couldn't say for sure without a chassis number, but quoted between £750 and £850, so maybe they wer'nt trying to rip me off.
I'm picking it up tonight and dropping it over to Longlife tomorrow.
I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, just got it back and its running better than ever.
Turns out the front twin cat (pre cat??) had practically melted, and sent a load of crap to another cat that had burned out.
Longlife said the front twin cat wasn't needed, so replaced it with a peice of exhaust, then replaced the rear cat.
Total cost £370. The service was great, and I can't fault the guy who fixed it called Austin who even went to the trouble of showing
me the knackered parts when I went to pick it up.
DF, you had your chance....you blew it....a letter is in the post!

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Get good and bad experiences with everyone. I wouldn't use Longlife again after the last exhaust I had with them. Wrong bore, exhaust outlet vibrated against bumper & not bracketted properly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts